2009 LS Suburban Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by RWK, Mar 9, 2009.

1. RWK

RWK Rockstar

Hi there,

My passengers are complaining from the 3rd row that they can not hear the music playing. I put the speakers to full rear and turn it up so they can hear it. Does anyone know if a LS model has the speaker wiring harness run to the rear hatch? I really don't want to tear out the trim molding to look. When I shine a light in the rear holes where a speaker would go, it is kind of hard too see if there's any wires in there or not. So far I can only find 4 speakers, 1 in each side door.

Thanks in advance for any info.

2. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Does the window sticker say 6 speakers or more? I think you have the tweeters above the dash on the pillars.
    If I remebercorrectly, my window sticker said I had a six speaker system.

3. RWK

RWK Rockstar

Nope, the stick just says AM/FM Radio w/ CD

I see the little spots on the dash pillar, but can't tell if anything is coming out. I don't hear any sound or feel any air.

I'd hate to rip out the carpet or headliner to run a new harness for the speakers, just hoping it is already in place.

4. RWK

RWK Rockstar

Talked to the Parts guy at the dealership. No wiring harness to the rear, I would have to make one or buy 1 if I wanted to put speakers in the rear pillars.

5. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Wouldn't be hard to add on a set just wire them in series so you dont overload the radio.
    You would clip the negative (-) wire just short of the speaker and run a new one back to the new speakers (+) and then the negative wire (-) on the new speaker back to the old negative wire.

Here is some drawings to show what I mean

http://www.termpro.com/articles/spkrz.html

[​IMG]

6. RWK

RWK Rockstar

Thanks for the info.

I'll talk to the gal. I don't think she wants to take up the carpet to put in the wires.

I'd like to do it, but it would take some time to do it right. Lift up the carpet, get into the side post and into the doors to the existing speakers. Right now it is snowing and blowing outside. I don't have anywhere to get it inside at the moment.

The gal ordered a DVD System and it is going into the shop to get installed when it arrives, maybe I'll see if the guys could drop in a harness.

We'll see, Thanks for the info.

7. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Anyone else have this issue with the 2009 Suburban? Was there an option for a premium sound system?

8. RWK

RWK Rockstar

I can only find 4 speakers in my gal's LS.

I guess on the Bose System there's 6 or more speakers. I'll find out from the Chevy shop next week, what else we can do. They are installing a DVD system when the parts come in.