GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

2009 Red Z71 Silverado time line

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by Rocketmanh5, May 23, 2013.

1. Rocketmanh5

Rocketmanh5 New Member

So it's been about a year since I've posted on here and I have never done a build up SO! Let me introduce you to my baby. I can not find the day I first received her but she was fully stock. Yes, yes it was given to me by my parents while in high school. Spoiled? No. Thankful? YES very much so!
    Day 1: Level Kit (not actual photo of her but it is how she sat that day, pic below was a few months back in Jackson)

[​IMG]

After a year I felt like it was time for a change. 285-65-18 Trail Grapplers on Victory wheels (stock offset) 3" magnaflow exhaust "cat back" style..it's a race muffler is all. UWS low profile tool box (no more stolen tools while on jobs!) Little here and there things, no need to list..

[​IMG]
    Then I went to stock wheels on the same tires as above. Sorry she's dirty, went hunting that morning.
    [​IMG]
    Then a friend wanted to try out the Trail Graps so I rolled on these things for two days, 275-75?-17 BFG T/A's on Xd Addicts. Too much off set couldn't stand not being able to turn!
    [​IMG]

This January I decided it needed some change again so I ordered new tires and wheels again. Went with a set of 275-70-18 Terra Grapplers on Xd Bombs (stock offset again) Also this was taken the day I got her back from the shop. Of course I had the motor with all three criterias causing it to burn oil, afm, all aluminum block, and an '09...just my luck. So now we have a practically new motor!
    [​IMG]

So I'm still young right? I've never liked lifted trucks since I worked on them since I was 14 at my cousin's shop, but I broke down and we threw together a "mutt" lift. I was skeptical of doing all this since I'm still under most of the warranty since she only has 46k on her now(1700 on new motor warranty), but oh well they don't cover much plus my dealer said to do as I pleased and they gave me the "ok" to go for it.
    [​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

And here is how she sits as of yesterday! Lovely! 35-12.5-18 Trail Grapplers on the Xd Bombs as before. Rubbing or cutting? HECK NO they clear! 6 inch lift with pre-load spacers on the front struts to prevent cutting of the fenders. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: May 23, 2013
  2. GuyGene

GuyGene New Member

Looks great! Still using oil?
  3. Rocketmanh5

Rocketmanh5 New Member

Thanks. And as of now I can not tell. The motor didn't use oil until about 38k miles. I check it every fill up and it doesn't show to be low any of the times yet. Although currently I only have 2900 miles on it as of today.
  4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

Great looking truck! Very nice.
  5. Rocketmanh5

Rocketmanh5 New Member

Thank you very much.
  6. Bamafan

Bamafan New Member

Lookin sharp! As far as what you can do that wont void the warranty... I don't know of much other than cosmetics; painted bowties, billet grill, etc.
  7. Rocketmanh5

Rocketmanh5 New Member

Thanks bamafan and heck I did that signature years ago. I need to change it. That was before she hit 36k. I was worried about voiding warranties (or what they kinda sorta not really cover) but now I'm over that ha. Thanks though. I've done the bowties every color and pattern imaginable. I change them every once in a while to show off what all we can do at my shop such as exterior additions.
    Last edited: May 24, 2013
  8. RadoRage

RadoRage New Member

Don't let someone at the dealership tell you aftermarket parts will void your warranty. As far as aftermarket parts and mods go, unless the part is the cause of the malfunction your warranty is still valid. Mods may cause some extra scrutiny from a dealer when bringing it in, but it doesn't automatically void your warranty. Search the "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act" to get more detailed info.

I've heard of dealers making it difficult to have warranty work done on a heavily modified vehicle but the law is clear...it just may take extra time and a bit of a headache if the dealer decides to be difficult about it.
  9. 06GMCSIERRA

06GMCSIERRA New Member

Nice truck!! Fudge the dealer......
  10. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

Nice pics. Don't be a stranger!
  11. Rocketmanh5

Rocketmanh5 New Member

Yea I printed out the whole "book" ha. I always kept a copy of it with me in the truck just in case I needed it or if someone else needed it. Mostly needed it because no one could under stand me saying Magnuson Moss Act....all the heard was "maggets ball sak".....people these days..And my dealer has been more than fair to me about everything. Only thing they said "No" to was the carrier in the rear end when I went to swap gears. The spider gears were pitted and starting to bust. They said it was not common and was due to it being ragged out.. But I can promise it hasn't been. I've spoke with a few people that pull quite frequently as I do and they all have had to get better carriers.

- - - Updated - - -

Update on the new motor and all. Just rolled over 58k on the odo and have checked the oil every three days since new to keep track of everything. As of now no consumption has occurred, although last time it started at 38k or so. Swapped gears to 4.10s with locker since the stock carriers are apparently junk if you pull frequently. Spider gears were pitted and breaking. Talked to quite a few people they also had this issue with their trucks they pulled with. When the motor broke-in I decided to have it tuned, and to get the spedo back to stock as close as possible. Mad Tunes Racing did the tune, after the tune I am averaging 18 mpg highway and 15 town. If the road is flat and traffic is flowing nice no slowing or speeding up, I can get 19 if not using cruise control. This is also with 50 psi in the tires, no load, full tank of 93, and no wind. But everything is a variable on the road. Over all I'm please with the new motor and the whole set up!
  12. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 New Member

super awesome truck you have there rocketmanh, great job. That red really pops.
  13. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker New Member

badass looking rig bud!

You may be the most indecisive person I've ever met when it comes to wheel selections:rofl: but hey, the end result looks great and I can more than understand "needing a change"! It seems like once a month I'm looking for SOMETHING to do to Truck Norris to change his appearance or how he runs.
  14. Rocketmanh5

Rocketmanh5 New Member

Thank ya very much!

- - - Updated - - -

Well to make things better I have some BMF Novakanes on order :party: already ready to make changes! I'm in the same boat as you are, I have to do small steps each month so I don't do tons of things two or three times. I usually run out of things to do, then do them different again. It's an addiction I can't control!!!
  15. 11redz71

11redz71 New Member

Very nice looking truck!!! It's also the right color!
  16. 2011laserblue

2011laserblue New Member

She's a beauty! Nice job man! I just did a timeline not too long ago of my silverado. We are in a very similar boat it sounds like…My truck was given to me when I was in high school as well. You put it perfectly…"spoiled? No. Thankful? YES".

I've worked at my dad's dealership since I was 13 and though they provided me with the truck I've worked very hard over the years to piece together all of the mods and get it looking the way I like.

Keep up the great work man - and awesome ride!
  17. Rocketmanh5

Rocketmanh5 New Member

Thank you very much and yes indeed!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks very much. And yea I had one chance on a vehicle. I wasn't like most at my school who got a new one each year after they destroyed it ha. I even had special parking by my principal so it didn't get destroyed lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Just an update of Silvia and what she looks like now. Sold the 18s and 35s and bought a set of 35-12.50-20 Trail Graps again and I'm sticking with them this time until they need replacing....or so I say. Anyway here she is on 20x9 Drop Stars with the goofy monster logo since they were swapping to new cap styles when I ordered these and had to settle.... waiting to get that crap off of them asap. Will be getting some more bayou shots this weekend hopefully weather permitting... Snagged a few pics at work for preview. :party:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. 2011laserblue

2011laserblue New Member

Looks good man! Like the cleared headlights -- I want to do it to mine. From what I understand you have to literally cut the light open? Scares the hell out of me. Is it as bad as it seems? Everything flows really well. Will look a lot better without the monster caps lol.
  19. the phantom

the phantom New Member

Dont cut the lights open!!! you can put them in the oven for about 10 minutes at 230degrees and pull the lense off. Ive done this and it works.. then get some thin butyle tape to put them back together. Ive explained some of this in my NNBS headlight mod thread.

Yes the cleared headlights definitely are nicer.. Are you going to use swichback led signals or just an amber bulb?
  20. 2011laserblue

2011laserblue New Member

Thanks Phantom, I'll check out your thread.

I've read that the oven baking isn't very effective?? I'll definitely go with the swichback signals. The whole point of clearing the headlights is to make them clear. At least IMO :glasses: