1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2009 Sierra 5.3l oil problem

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Austyn_7, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Austyn_7

Austyn_7 New Member

Hey guys,

Back in sept. my dad bought a brand new (it has 200k on it when he picked it up) GMC sierra crew cab, 5.3l, alot of chrome accessories, a nice looking truck all around.

After having it for a couple of weeks he started to notice smoke on cold start up. Im apprenticing for Heavy Duty technician. He asked me to take a look at it, so I did. On cold start ups (after sitting for atleast 7-8 hrs) the truck would blow blue smoke BAD!

So this led me to believe that the valves were not seating properly and allowing oil to pass through and therefore oil being burned off during start up. Dad was burning/using about .5 a litre per tank of gas (500km?)

He took it back to the shop, (it then had 1100 km), and he was told, i quote, 'come back when the truck has 5000kms, maybe the problem will fix itself, let the engine break in' etc etc. Just crap, I cant believe a company would represent itself like that. I told him this was Sh*t. If the engine seized due to lack of oil he would lose his warranty due to lack of maintance and he would be totally screwed.

He took it back after another thousand kms and they had it for a week and claimed it was fixed. The truck stopped blowing smoke on cold starts, but continued to burn oil at a similiar rate. So of course he toolk it back a few weeks later and it was in the shop for another week, service department claimed it was fixed again. But YET AGAIN the truck burned oil at the same rate, the day he got it back from the shop, i mean the DAY OF getting it back I checked the oil and it was halfway down the dipstick!!!

The service department gave him a case of oil and advised him to 'monitor the situation'....what!!?? It has been 'fixed' twice.

By now its time they just R&R the engine and get it fixed.

Thoughts?????
  2. Stealth

Stealth New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

sad, i would just ditch them for good and tell other not to even look at the shop
  3. dptyrob

dptyrob New Member

Just out of sheer morbid curiosity, what brand, type, weight, and viscosity oil did they give him to run in it? You might try experimenting with different oils if you can't figure it out or otherwise resolve the problem.

I would run a compression check on it and see what kind of readings you're getting. If you have a noticeable disparity between one or two cylinders and the rest that would bear looking into and may support your concerns about valves seating. I wouldn't think valves seating (or not seating) would have a lot to do with the oil consumption as long as the valve guide seals are doing their thing though.

I think if I was him I'd raise a really big stink with the dealership until they trade him out for a new one. If he can get them to do that, that would be the way to go. I'd say he just got a lemon.
  4. Austyn_7

Austyn_7 New Member

The thing is, three days after he bought it GMC released the 60 day return policy.

Its just typical oil, 5w30 conventional i believe.
  5. gmcman2005

gmcman2005 New Member

Hello;
    You should be able to take the truck to ANY gm dealership for warranty work, not just the dealer the truck was purchased from. Like the rest of us, your dad probably busted his *** to be able to afford the truck he wanted. Dont back down!!! It the truck that he bought isn't right, demand that gm MAKE it right!!! Good luck, brother, keep us posted!!
  6. azdrtdog

azdrtdog New Member 100 Posts

Get them with the lemon law they have to fix and if it continues to keep going back for the same problem its a lemon
  7. Austyn_7

Austyn_7 New Member

8. silveradoss

silveradoss New Member

Sorry to hear some one else has had this ridiculous and quite embarressing problem. I have a 2009 GMC Sierra 5.3 extended cab Allterrain edition Z71 4X4. It started smoking at cold startups around 4,500 miles. Only smokes for a couple of seconds but shouldn't smoke at all. It is in the shop now and hope they fix it the first time.

Did they give you an explanation for this or tell you what caused it?
  9. silveradoss

silveradoss New Member

just got the truck back, keep you guys posted on results
  10. tmcroc24

tmcroc24 New Member

i dnt work much on gas engines, but i know with a diesel i would get an oil sample and have it tested either sent out or if you have access to a viscosity gauge, to see if you have fuel in your oil. which could mean you have a bad injector seal, or bad injector. i dnt know if this could happen on your engine but maybe someone else can help there.