1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2009 Silverado transmission problems??

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by mayers2007, Nov 19, 2010.

1. mayers2007

mayers2007 New Member

I have a 2009 1500 model only 13,000 miles on the truck

Symptom: When the truck is placed in Overdrive and you place your foot on the accelerator there is a rattling noise. It happens more when you just slightly tap it and let off. When you put the truck in 3rd gear the noise goes away. Other then the noise the truck is running good.

Another concern I've had since I bought the truck brand new:

When I stop the truck at a red light it will sometimes sit there for 3-7 seconds and finally shift into first gear hard.

Any input before I bring the truck to the dealer?
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  2. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Mine does this too. I have really not thought of a solution or what could be causing the problem so I would be courious to what others say. Do you have the new 6 speed or the 4 speed?
  3. dwightfry

dwightfry New Member

sounds to me like the lock up converter or the switch that controls it
  4. ajarman

Mayers, have you talked to the dealership about this yet??
  5. mayers2007

mayers2007 New Member

Called up dealer over phone to schedule appointment. Female service rep states the noise I'm hearing is probably the heat sheild wherever that is, but I disagree. Wouldn't this supposibly warped heat sheild make noise when in 3rd or 2nd compared to only making it when truck is set to overdrive. I have the 4 speed ajarman. As far as the truck sitting there at the red lightand hard shifting into gear as I thought. Service rep firmly believes its with the differential. Says they'll lube it up and it shoudn't stick like that.
  6. ajarman

I have the 4 speed also. I am going in before the new year and get my power steering flushed, trans flush and diff changed and will make sure they lube the diff up. It has not really bothered me in the past, but now that I know it is not a one off thing it is starting to really bug me.

I am not seeing where the heat sheild is making the noise in just OD....courious to see how your vist to the dealership plays out. Keep up posted!
  7. mayers2007

mayers2007 New Member

The differential issue seems to be fixed. So far the truck has not replicated the problem. We will see in the next 1,000 miles if anything happens.

However the noise I'm hearing is still there. I told the lady exactly how to replicate the noise, but she said her shop employee couldn't hear it. I told them I would have one of the guys ride with me, but at the time of the pickup it was raining heavily. I even waited an hour until I went to pick it up, but rain persisted. Instead of driving around with the windows down getting wet I just went home. I was also pissed off and didn't want to show it, because I knew exactly what was going to happen. I knew I would go pick up the truck and they wouldn't have an answer. I know how this dealership works and others. Lazy not willing to go the extra mile. I'll be bringing it back again soon.

What I mentioned with it only happening in overdrive is false. What I meant is when you stick the truck into "D" Drive it does it. It will do it in all gears while in "D" When you put the truck directly into 3rd, 2nd or 1st the noise is not present.

---------- Post added at 01:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 AM ----------

Tomorrow I'm going to try to remember to get a video with my phone so you can hear the noise.
  8. Ryan11MP

Ryan11MP New Member

I have been having the same issue with my 2009 Silverado. At the red light same thing. Also mine is hitting hard in traffic mainly when goin into second gear. I have also heard some crackleing sounds when starting and turning it off. The dealers wont even see me till this monday though.