1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2009 Suburban Trailer package question

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by 09mdburb, Dec 7, 2009.

1. 09mdburb

09mdburb New Member

I'm buying a new 09 suburban but it does not have the trailer hd package (engine and tranny oil coolers).

I do A LOT of long distance towing and I will need that option. Is there anything else included in that package? I can have the dealer install both of those items.

The dealer states that the engine oil cooler is pointless but the tranny oil cooler is obviously needed bc I tow a lot. Is this true? Do I not need to waste my money on the engine oil cooler?
  2. jhbrennan

jhbrennan New Member

If you tow alot why not just find a Suburban that is equipped with the HD trailering package - I doubt you can get the two coolers installed for the $200 price of the HD trailering option. Once the car leaves the dealer's lot he could care less if you have any problems with overheating so I'd wouldn't put much value in his "pointless" comment.
  3. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Yeah find one with the package, I seriously CAN NOT think the dealer will install the entire package after the truck has been shipped to the lot for the same price it costs at the factory at the time of build. And even thought the dealer would say you dont really need the oil cooler you should. Cooler oil means longer life for your engine. We dont even tow and my family has owned three suburbans and our dealer has always said if you cen get it on the truck do it, the miniscual up front price is much cheaper for then the repair of when you everheat the engine towing and dont have the cooler when you need it.
  4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

X3 on what the guys said, everything we have ever owned has had the towing package even if we didn't need it. I bet the dealership would charge about $1,000 labor for that job, I have had my fair share of dealer installed stuff and trust me they take there time. :sleep:
  5. s5belford

s5belford New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

X4 if it wasn't necessary they wouldn't put them in anything. I'd find one that has it.
  6. 09mdburb

09mdburb New Member

a lot of owners think they have the coolers but they don't, the window sticker is misleading because it says tow package, but that is just the hitch.
  7. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Back in '96 when I ordered my Suburban I got everything HD that was offered for the 4X4 1/2tons and i think it was well worth it. Back then the HD package was 4.10 gears, limited slip, larger tranny cooler (from the 1-ton dually) larger power steering cooler and the engine oil cooler. The engine cooler had a thermostate and ran engine coolant thru it after passing thru the engine radiator to cool the engine oil. The thermostate only opened when needed. I would get everything HD, I dont think you'll regret it.
  8. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Most likely this dealer's trying to sell out of on hand stock, he wants to reduce his numbers rather than reduce the numbers of somebody elses lot so he's not really interested in what you want just that you take one of his trucks off his lot.
    Addition of all items included in the tow package will cost more if he adds them than if you get the actual GM package. Then theres the question of warranty on the added pieces.

If he doesnt want to find the truck you want you'd be better off searching at a different dealership.
    When we bought my wifes new car a few years ago we first went to the GM website and speced out the car we wanted. We made copies and started visiting dealerships telling them this is the car we want. Do you have it on site or can you get it? Out of 8 local dealerships 2 had something close but not close enough for us and 2 were willing to search and bring in the exact car we wanted. They both found the same car about 400 miles away, the only difference from the car we wanted and what they found was the car they found had heated seats and we didnt want heated seats, one dealership agreed to drop the price of the heated seats from the price, after shipping and everything else the vehicle we wanted cost less than 80% of the ones in stock that werent what we wanted.
    A new Suburban cost quite a chunk of change, be picky and let them know if they cant get exactly what you want you'll take your buisiness to someone who can.