2010 Chevy 4X4 with towing package

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by dad277, Sep 15, 2010.

1. dad277

dad277 New Member

I have a 2010 1/2 ton 4X4 Crew with the towing package. I bought a trailer brake controller. When trying to install the controller, I found the pre-installed chevy wiring under the dash exactly as the installation instructions said that I would. The only problem is that the 12V power wire on the truck has no voltage on it. I assumed that there was a fuse missing so I tracked down the trailer brake fuse and was shocked to find a fuse installed. Is there another fuse location that I am overlooking? I could rig it up to have 12V but would like to use the factory wire if possible.

2. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I hope I am not leading you a stray, but I believe the hot wire for the trailer wire is under the hood on the driver side balled up down towards the headers. Its a red wire.

3. dad277

dad277 New Member

So if I find it, are you to just wire it over to the battery. I would have expect it to be pre-wired in the fuse block. I will certainly look for the wire that you are suggesting.

4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club. Can't help with the wiring. ( I HATE wiring)

5. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

****thread moved to electrical****

Welcome to the site. if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

6. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Right next to the trailer brake fuse should be 2 studs. One is for the trailer power, the other is for a trailer brake controller. Throw the wire ajarman mentioned on the terminal and you should be good to go.