1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2010 Chevy silverado 1500 Max Towing package

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by sundancer2004, Jul 8, 2010.

Random Gallery Photos

1. sundancer2004

sundancer2004 New Member

I was towing a 5th wheel with boarderline weight as allowed with a 08 silverado. I recently(500 miles ) purchased a Silverado 1500 with the offered Max Towing Package. Essentially this took the place of the 1500 HD of yesteryear. HD Trans(6speed) 6.2 Gas, Hd trans cooler, oil cooler, larger axel, ect ect.the six speed trans seems to be geared very low on one end and high on the 6th. If you take it easy from a light its in 3rd gear at 25 30 mph. Gas mileage is, well, not as good as my 5.3 but 16 to 18 if I don't horse it. HD locking rearend , well thats different, the first time I hit it to pass you knew it was there, no traction loss, just get up and git.integrated electric brake control on dash. I'm submitting this, not tobrag, but to forward info as I recall several questions in the recent past regarding towing with a 1500. Essesentially this is a 3/4 truck in a 1/2 ton truck body. Ride is slightly stiff but not uncomfortable.
  2. sundancer2004

sundancer2004 New Member

since then I have towed to our favorite place several times, the first time I started to slow down approaching a light, the truck downshifted. Scared the hell out of me! Thought I had a Jake Brake, it was that agressive. GM designed it that way to save on brakes and give you more and safer stopping power. This only happens when towing. Towing on flat road seems to be in the 9 to 10 MPG area, witha whopping 12 under ideal conditions. This truck tows 7,434 pounds like its a toy. you want ot have traction control on all the time or else you'll spin the tires. the 6.2 is just a watered down version of the LS3 @ 403HP stock. All in all, I think I'll keep it for five years or so. I like this truck, better than my 5.3. Everything is a trade off and mileage is mine.
  3. Bigbomber

Bigbomber New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Hey sundancer 2004, Sounds like the truck is doing what it was suppopsed to do for you.I just wanted to thank you for the updates on your ride.