1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2010 Chevy Silverado LT Crew Cab RUST

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by mkballance, Oct 17, 2011.

Random Gallery Photos

1. mkballance

mkballance New Member

:grrrrrr: I purchased my Chevy Silverado on June 16, 2010. I wash my truck on average every two weeks. I had hip replacment surgery 11 weeks ago, so I haven't wiped my door jams out for about 3 months. Now my door seal is show rust. I'm pissed. I plan to call the dealer I got the truck from as, I have 32K miles.

Has anybody had this problem. I popped the trim panel off to take the picture.

Kent

Attached Files:

2. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

That doesn't look right. I bet it had water sitting in it before you bought it. What did the dealership say?
  3. mkballance

mkballance New Member

Just went online and scheduled an appointment for Wednesday morning. I will append what they say or do.

Kent
  4. Greg84

Greg84 New Member 100 Posts

Wow.. Thats pretty bad. Does it go any farther in under the bundle of wires or carpet or is it just on the edge so far?
  5. mkballance

mkballance New Member

Well good news. Jerry's Chevrolet in Towson, MD, service looked at it today, and said, "That doesn't look right". They replaced the weather stripping around the door. The service guy said that when someone steps on the gasket, it separates and let's this happen. He indicated that the mechanic mentioned he has seen this before. It was fixed in less than an hour under warranty. Apparently the weather stripping has a steel spine inside, so separating the weather stripping exposes the steel to atmosphere causing the rust. Nothing on the body. My truck looks great again.

Kent
  6. Bigbomber

Bigbomber New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I mentioned this in another post as i had the same problem and the dealer replaced both sides of my weatherstripping.You may want to check the other side.
  7. Backroads

Backroads New Member

Had same thing on my 2010 Ext. Cab LT, material was replaced under warranty.
  8. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Member 100 Posts

Kent,

I am glad to hear that this concern has been resolved. If you have any future questions or concerns please feel free to contact me directly for more assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
  9. bonanas

bonanas New Member

I have just found that I have the exact problem, is thes covered by the 6 year rust through protection.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2014
  10. greywolf11

greywolf11 New Member

This has been an issue with GM trucks at least back to 99 and the GMT800 trucks. I had a white 2004 Silverado crewcab and had the exact same problem with rust stains on the door sill. As you found out the metal inside the weatherstripping was the culprit. I posted about this ten years ago on another GM truck forum and someone had this idea.... I tried it and have never again experienced the problem on the 04 and the two GM trucks I've owned since. I don't know why GM puts this seam at the bottom of the door where this can happen, but this will "fix" it.

There is a seam in the weatherstripping at the bottom of the door opening of every door. I just pull the seam apart enough to put the tip of a tube of clear silicone in each end and squirt it full. I do the same to the other side of the gap and place them back together. I wipe off the excess. I take wax paper (or any other similar non stick) and lay it over the repair and shut the door. This will cause some more excess. I wipe this off and put the wax paper back, close the door and leave it alone a few hours. When it dries this closes the gap and eliminates moisture from getting in. With the door shut the weatherstip takes its normal shape so it still fits snugly. No more rust issues here in over a decade of driving.

Just an idea, and BTW not responsible if this somehow turns into an issue for someone. Proceed at your own risk. But it has worked well for me.