1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2010 GMC Sierra 1500 Fuel Economy

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by mcculloch360, Dec 10, 2012.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. mcculloch360

mcculloch360 New Member

I drive this truck about 85 miles a day for work but i pay for gas. Is there any mods i can use to get better fuel economy. By the way i deliver mail so there is little straight away driving and a lot of stop and go. Any help would be great!!
  2. dobey

dobey Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

How much better? And how much are you getting now?

The answer is probably "no, if you want better MPG, buy a small car for work." A 6000 lb truck with a V8 just isn't going to get good MPG doing stop and go driving all day long.
  3. mcculloch360

mcculloch360 New Member

I deliver mail on dirt and rocky country roads. So a small car is not an option. Right now i am getting 14.1 miles per gallon on average per day. I know there are limits to what is possible but i also know there are things out there tthat can help. Even 1 mile per gallon when you are using 6-7 gallons a day is something. Thank you!
  4. dobey

dobey Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Keep the tires inflated to 40-42 psi, and stay out of the gas. K&N filter (or Airaid), with Airaid MIT might help a little. Maybe a little tuning work could help a little. And some shorty headers like the Banks TorqueTubes, and a better exhaust system might help a little. Cost will add up quick though. They'll give you a little power and maybe a slight bump in MPG depending on driving style, and tune, but mostly you're out of luck I think. 14.1 is pretty good, especially if you're in 4WD. If you are driving 4WD most of them, staying in 2WD might help, if the roads aren't too slick or bumpy from the dirt and rocks.

Even a smaller truck would be a huge improvement in MPG if you can't use a small car though. If you can get a Canyon/Colarado you'd probably see 4-5 MPG more than you currently are, with their smaller 4 cylinder, and a 5 speed manual (or even with the automatic). The 5.3 Canyon/Colarado is still a guzzler though. The older Sonoma/S-10 isn't so great on gas though. You're likely to get about the same was with your current truck with one of those.
  5. mcculloch360

mcculloch360 New Member

I got 18.5 today by staying below 55 mph... 4 mpg better makes a big diff.