2010 gnc serria won't crank new starter

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Matt Hoover, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Matt Hoover

Matt Hoover New Member

Key turns on like normal but when I turn the key over nothing happens it won't crank or tick nothing. So I checked all the fuses and to the best I can tell the fuses are good. I replaced the starter after having it tested at oreillys thinking that was it and still nothing. Need to no where to go from here and if anyone has any ideas.

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Did you test the battery?

3. Matt Hoover

Matt Hoover New Member

Battery is fine even tried jumping it jus to be sure

4. Scott_Anderson

Scott_Anderson Rockstar 100 Posts

Any sounds from the relay/fuse box under the hood.
    Can you hear the fuel pump prime?

5. Matt Hoover

Matt Hoover New Member

The relay clicks and fuel pump primes

6. Scott_Anderson

How about the starter relay, you said you checked the fuse. The starter relay should be next to the fuse(#62 and 40A I believe) near the middle.

7. Scott_Anderson

Have you tried with the transmission in N, instead of P.

8. Scott_Anderson

Do you have the factory remote start?
    If so, does anything happen when you use it.

9. j cat

j cat Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

`they tested the starter your old one right ? what about the starter they sold you LOL ???
    as was mentioned if the starter does not suddenly crank it very well can be the shift lever / neutral switch. move shift lever see if it cranks.

I would with the key to crank position see if you get power to the solenoid at starter. if not then it can be the start relay/ignition switch/neutral switch or wiring ..

if you do get power to starter and no crank starter is good could be motor is locked up.. probably not but it does happen.

10. RayVoy

RayVoy Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

If there is no "click" from starter, the starter solenoid is not getting power when the key is turned to crank.
    It's not getting power, or has no ground.
    The solenoid power will be on the purple, or pink wire that has the weather proof connector. You need to remove it from the solenoid to check for 12 volts with a DC volt meter.
    The ground is through the case to the engine.
    No power on the pink wire, go to the starter relay....the one Scott talked about in the previous posts.......it needs to operate when the key it turned to crank. You can feel this operate if you place your fingers on the top of the case.