1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2010 Silverado 14000 miles needs rear main seal?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by hall1836, May 30, 2013.

1. hall1836

hall1836 New Member

Truck has had minor leak, thought it may have been the pan gasket leaking on the passenger side by the starter motor. Took it to Chevy dealer today and diagnosied it as a bad rear seal, is this a known problem, and what could make it go in 14000 miles?
  2. bazar01

bazar01 Member

Sorry to hear that you have a low mileage truck with a leaky rear main seal? How much is it leaking?
    I have 20k miles on mine and I cannot see a trace of engine oil wetness in the bellhousing bottom at all. Maybe a bad batch of rear main seal?
    I do not think the rear seal on your low mileage truck will cut a groove on the crank journal at that mileage. This usually occurs when the seal gets hard over time (years) and it cuts a groove on the crank journal causing the oil leakage.
  3. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

14K is REALLY low miles on a 3 year old truck.

I assume you have the 5.3L engine. No, the 5.3L engine is not usually a leaker. My 2008 Silverado was as dry as a bone underneath when I traded it in with 73K miles.
  4. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts

my guess they are wrong. the oil pan is a known problem on most all leaks in this area. I have never heard or seen a rear main leak on these engines.

the oil pan seal and the oil pan position is critical on assembly it is a manufacturing screw up ..

most times the rear main leaks because the engine is old the main bearings are worn so the hardened seal leaks slightly..
  5. hall1836

hall1836 New Member

Thanks for the response's, my feelings were pan gasket, just got a call from the dealer that it was in fact main seal will pick it up tomorrow. Will continue to keep an eye on the area of the pan gasket.
  6. steved

steved Former Member

It happens, I would not worry about it. With the volume of parts manufacturers get, they are bound to get a bad one once in a while.

On my last truck the front crank seal leaked within a couple hundred miles of getting it home. The Dodge dealer replaced it and it never seeped a drip for the next 275k miles.