2010 Silverado Driver window switch not working always

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by alkaspeltzar, Jul 5, 2011.

1. alkaspeltzar

alkaspeltzar Member

I have drivers side window switch that has been working intermittently.

At times, it is perfect. Other times, it locks up and will not move the window.

I have noticed if I am rolling the window down while starting the truck, it will stop the window, and the switch will become inactive for 5-20 seconds, like it needs to reset.

Any ideas?

Anyones else try this and see if they have similar experiences?

Thanks for the help

2. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I would recommend that you contact your local dealership for more information. They should be able to assist you further. Please feel free to keep me posted. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

3. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Should be under warranty....have the dealer replace it.

4. wilson.codi

wilson.codi New Member

I have the same issue with my truck.
    2010 silverado 1500
    Z71 Ext Cab LT model

Over the past few years I have experienced the same issue that was mentioned at the start of this forum. If I am eager and go to roll the windows down as I start the truck, or too quickly once the truck has been started, the window switch would not work for a few minutes, or sometimes until i restarted the truck.

Last week 2/22/17, I had this same issue again. The window unit would not actuate any of the windows. 30 minutes of driving later they started working. I got to my destination, came back out and went to drive home, had the issue repeat itself. This time it has not recovered.

Background info:
    I replaced the window switch a year or so ago because the button for the right rear window was having issues connecting when I wanted to roll the windows back up. Note that the above problem occurred even with the stock window switch. The new window switched worked great and would only occasionally give a 5 minute non work event as described above.

Details:
    The new window switch is receiving power, confirmed by the LEDs coming on in the switch, and by using a Test light.
    All fuses are in working condition.
    The window switch does not send power from the switch to the motor.
    The window switch does not light up the window lock button, and hence the back windows can not be rolled down, even from their own door control.
    The passenger window can be rolled down from the passenger side door switch.
    I have swapped out the window switch unit, with the OEM unit that I kept after replacing it previously. This original unit responds the same way.
    Power to, no power out, LEDS on.

Any suggestions?

I have just now unplugged the Negative battery cable, and the three harness connections in the driver side fuse panel (the one in the cab). I am wondering if this problem is due to a communication error between the computer and the window switch. I will check in an hour or so and see if the switch has reset itself.

5. wilson.codi

wilson.codi New Member

Unplugging the battery for 1 hour, and unplugging the 3 wiring harness connections did not solve the problem.
    I am going to order a new window switch from amazon, on the off chance that my old switch went bad in the year it sat in storage.

6. wilson.codi

wilson.codi New Member

7. silverado002

silverado002 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I am not sure the window switch Led power is the same power to operate the motor. Do you have a power window relay? have you tried substituting it? Do you have a wiring diagram to fix this issue.

8. RayVoy

RayVoy Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Silver, the '10 will have door module that is connected to the BCM over the LAN, the switches mounted on the upper side of the armrest are connected to/part of, the door module inside the armrest. This just a guess, but window open in the rain will kill electrical contacts in the switches.

9. silverado002

silverado002 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Ray, you are right about that as the newer vehicles use the BCM to control just about everything.
    He says that he swapped out the switch unit but no joy. Could be a wiring issue back to the BCM but a diagram is probably the best bet to fix this.

10. wilson.codi

wilson.codi New Member

Just installed a brand new window switch just to rule that out. No luck. There are two wiring connections that get plugged into the switch. Does anyone have a diagram on which wires do what? Using a test light I can only find 1 wire that has incoming power on the larger wiring connector. Image uploaded

Attached Files: