2010 Silverado Ext. Cab - Audio Install Opinions Needed!

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by bbolton13, Apr 28, 2010.

1. bbolton13

bbolton13 New Member

How's it going fellas? New to the forum, and looking forward to getting to know ya'll.

I'm a bit of an audio nut, and given that my company just bought me a new 2010 Silverado (love the truck so far) with a non-bose sound system, I'm looking into a complete overhaul.

Here's my shopping list thus far. Given that this will be the first time I've tried an install on a Chevy truck, I would love any recommendations or opinions ya'll might have.

Kenwood DNX9960 DD head unit
    Kenwood KCA-iP301V iPod Adapter
    Kenwood CA-SR20V Sirius Adapter
    Boyo VTL300 Backup Camera
    Scosche GM1598AB (to my knowledge, this allows you to integrate the existing OnStar with an aftermarket radio)
    Metra GMOS-LAN-01 dash kit

Polk DB651 or DB6501's up front (would love to get some more opinions on this)
    Polk DB461P's in the rear

Kicker CVT10 Shallow mount sub
    Kicker 300W Mono Amp

Like I said, I would love to see what some of ya'lls installs and get any other info/opinions that would be helpful.

1 person likes this.
  2. HawaiiKid

HawaiiKid Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Wish I could help with install questions, but the 03 and the 10 are pretty different in that respect. I personally am a huge fan of Alpine speakers...I have all Alpine Type S's in my Silverado, and couldnt ask for more out of them. My friend has a pair of 6.5" Polk DB somethings in his F-150 and he likes them pretty well-I think my Alpines sound better, but thats probably just because they are in my own truck :) He also has a pair of CVT series 10" subs in his truck, and they push more sound than my Rockford Fosgate P1S4 subs do for sure (hes running the same amp as I am, a Alpine V-Power M500). Sounds like it'll be a good sounding system, get some pics!

3. chevyman2004

chevyman2004 Rockstar 100 Posts

I also have the Alpine SPS-600 speakers and would recommend them to anyone, very nice sounding speakers. as far as head units all i have ever had in my vehicles is Pioneer and they have never let me down.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  4. chschevy58

chschevy58 Rockstar 100 Posts

just had everything installed in my truck on monday ... i bought the pioneer avh-p4200dvd ... its badass ... look into it. heres the link for what my stuff looks like ...

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42774

im getting those exact same subs to replace the crap ones i have ... prolly gunna get em this weekend.

5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Ok where should I start...? First off.. For your head unit You can't get any better...:great: The new Kenwood DNX 9960 is the best out there today...The best Nav,The easyest to use, 5 volt output and so much more..The only think I don't like is that I can't hook up my Sirius and HD Radio at the same port They only have 1.. As for speakers The Polk DB's will sound a ton better with a good amp going to them. Kenwood does have a great 4 Ch amp in there Higher end that will give you 80 watts x 4 with no problems Not sure of the part # off the top of my head but it is Priced very low at many places...Your radio will only give about 20 watts RMS..I have sold Polk before along with JL,Alpine,Focal, Pioneer's:winktongue: (Would not recamend Pioneers ever!) and many others... For Sound quality and the price points you can't beat the Focal's or JL Audio's. They make some of the best sounding long lasting speakers out there.. A good midbass even Highs.

Good luck with your install and please post pics ....

If you need any more help please ask.....

6. bbolton13

bbolton13 New Member

Thanks for all the opinions, fellas! I'm definitely open to other speaker selections, and I will certainly look into some of the suggestions ya'll made. Traditionally, I've been a JL and Focal guy; the main reason I was looking at the Polks is that I used them in the '07 Tundra I just sold (I hope that's not blasphemous :money:) and they seemed to be a good fit for the price and was pleasantly surprised with teh power and clarity.

The CVT sub came out of my old truck, but unfortunately it looks like it won't fit under the rear seat like it was before, so I'll have to figure out how I want to mount it.

I traditionally use Alpine amps to power my speakers; so I'm still on the fence about installing one for my components or just powering them off the HU. Given that it's a company truck, the easier I can rip everything out when it comes time to sell it, the better.

For you extended cab guys, where are you putting your subs? Also, anyone know what kind of adapter I need for the front doors to fit a 6 1/2"

Thanks again for all the replies, pics will definitely be on the way!

7. chschevy58

chschevy58 Rockstar 100 Posts

kicker compVT's fit under the back seat of my silverado??? you need a new box i guess.

8. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I am not sure if there is an adapter to put a 6 1/2 in the door.....

I tried alot of box options....had a pre fab box from audio enhancers...good box for the money....then i went to a custom ported box...better sound for sure....but since I am never satisfied I ended up doing a blow through box!

For most folks a box under the seat is the route to go. I had a Dodge Ram that we had subs under the rear seat in addition we removed the center seat/console and added another custom box with a single 10".

Just depends on what your looking for.

9. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Remember Jl Audio and I think MTX make some great Boxes for your truck..All custom.. Made to fit.. I do like the JL's better Much better sound.. and built better...

Good luck..

10. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

My money is for Boston Acoustics!!

1 person likes this.