1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2010 silverado rear suspenion sag

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Brant, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Brant

Brant New Member

I have a 2010 Silverado 1500 LT 2wd. The truck specs say it has a hd tow package and suspension but when I hook my boat to it it sits the rear end down significantly. My boat isn't that big, 17' long and weighs about 2300 lbs total so it shouldn't sit the truck down this much. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, how do I correct it?
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

A few guys here have the roadmaster active suspension kits and like them. http://www.activesuspension.com/

I am sure a few guys will come along and discuss things about your trailer and hitch setup. They might recommend a weight distributing hitch. I think that @Crawdaddy is very knowledgeable about this subject.

My boat weighed 3,500 lbs empty, not including trailer weight. The back of my yukon xl sagged a little with it on the back. (no rear leaf springs, it has coils) But, I would not say that it was major. I think that it has sagged lower with the back of the truck full of brick. I did notice though that how I had my boat on the trailer made a major difference. The guy that owned it before me had the trailer setup weird. It took 3 people to lift the tongue when I bought it. After making a few adjustments that moved the boat a few inches back on the trailer I could lift the tongue alone, the first few inches to get it level were pretty hard but a few inches above level became easy, it reduced the sag in the rear of my truck and towed much easier.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  3. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I have a 2000 Silverado 4wd and my 4000lb 20 ft wellcraft does not cause a sag in the rear.

this is with 250 lbs of tongue wt. on the ball. it is a 2 axle trailer , that maybe the difference.

you may have to position the boat to reduce the tongue wt.
  4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Because it's a boat, and therefore doesn't have an a-frame tongue, putting a weight distributing hitch on is possible, but impractical. However, 2300 pounds shouldn't cause issue with squat on a 1500 pickup unless there was significant weight in the bed.

Can you provide before and after pics of the rear bedside of the truck when you hook the boat up so we can visualize the amount of squat? One potential route to help with the squat is to put airbags on the rear, but I still can't believe that amount of weight is causing it.
  5. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Make sure your ball is high enough. An inch too low can add a huge amount of tongue weight.