1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2010 Silverado rip off ~ 17" Spare Tire w/ 18" Wheels

Discussion in 'Ask GM Customer Service' started by Coach24, May 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajarman

ajarman New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

You are correct the whole point in the spare being mounted and balanced when you need it. What I am getting at is a spare (on all the GM trucks I have owned ) did not come with a "factory" wheel but a black steel wheel and the spare tire would have to mounted and balanced on one of the 4 wheels cause I am not going to be rocking 1 steel wheel and 3 factory wheels on my NNBS to try and save a buck. Am I missing something with expecting a 5th factory wheel as a spare?? I am a very simple man so this night be going right over my head.
  2. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

Ok I got ya... I was looking at it as most people would just not use the mis-matched spare in the 5 tire rotation due to the size difference & therefore wouldn't be mounting & balancing it each time.
    As for me I've never used my spare in the rotation pattern, (even though it's the same wheel, & same size size,) but I know there are a lot of people who do because of the factories stating that it actually gains more miles per 5 tires than what they would by just rotating 4 , saving/not using the spare & then replacing the original 4 when worn out.
    1 person likes this.
  3. Coach24

Coach24 New Member 1000 Posts

Yup

If I paid for optional 18's i would expect to get an 18" spare, although the wheel would be non conforming and i would have one wheel that matches the other four.

if you paid for a corvette and got a cruze would you be satisfied?

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

In the past recommendations were a four tire rotation, since the steel belted took the place of bias ply tires. Now if you check the manual they suggest a 5 tire rotation.Why? if they are going to supply a smaller tire. it would be nice to get the wheel as well but i had already planned for the wheel issue and have a OEM wheel to match so I only needed to mount and dismount once. Balancing should be performed each time you rotate and most large tire shops include this with free rotation .

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 PM ----------

Yup. No customer service from GM any more. I have owned bowties for 40 years and never altered my path except for the 442.
    Gm just doesnt understand that Ford is not having to work to hard to get us to change brands

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

Oh yeah i got it. Why waste your time posting? Read again and then see if you get it.
  4. ajarman

If I paid for a vette you best believe I would check under the hood for the V8!! As for the 18's yes, you got the 4 you paid for and you still have a spare under the bed in case you get a flat and still need to drive. There is a reason the call it a "spare" and not a "matching 5th wheel". I think it is a little unrealistic to expect a matching 18" as a spare and I bet a dollar to a donut that the 18" won't even fit up under there.
  5. Coach24

I have the window sticker and it says nothing about difference in sizes. I did however read the owners manual online and found the sentence, way in the back of the book.
    So I guess you need to borrow or go online and read the entire owners manual of a vehicle to make sure it is not a bait and switch technique .
    All my other trucks have had the same size and same wheel, when the wheels weren't custom. Why change now? GM is simply cheapening what was a wonderful trademark/insignia. Why do you think Ford is winning in Nascar again? Ford get pass because they haven't cut all monies from sponsorships like Chevy has done.
  6. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

That's a good point about the 18" maybe not even fitting in the spare well. I never thought about that.
    I know when I get my 33" X 12.5" ATs mounted, there won't be room for a matching spare in mine ha ha ha.. It barely holds a 265-70-16
  7. Coach24

Well send your dollar as the 18" does fit very well underneath. Well if they want it just as a spare why do they suggest a 5 tire rotation? Is there one hidden somewhere else in the vehicle or do they just hold it on a rack for you when you come in? In my state if I put the extra tire on and size is different I am subject to a penalty for mismatched tires. And it will not pass inspection on a yearly basis.
    when it comes to cars it is pretty clear you get a donut in the trunk. What they need to do is make it clear when you pay for optional tires put a quantity on the optional and make it clear. This way you can negotiate for the 400 dollar wheel and the 200 dollar tire
    Last edited: May 23, 2011
  8. ajarman

Why are you trying to tie NASCAR to you not getting a matching spare tire?
  9. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

The Below Information is from the 2011" Silverado Owners Manual......Section 10....page 95,

Do Not Mix Tires and Wheels of Different Sizes, because they will not fit. Keep Your Spare Tire and Its Wheel Together,
    .....If your Vehicle has a....SPARE TIRE THAT DOES NOT MATCH....your Vehicle's Original road Tires and Wheels in Size and Type, DO NOT INCLUDE the SPARE in the TIRE ROTATION

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  10. Coach24

SIMPLE Chevrolet is losing respect everywhere. It truly is a shame they have chosen such a poor way to treat customers.

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

Makes sense doesn't it?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.