Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

2010 Silverado rip off ~ 17" Spare Tire w/ 18" Wheels

Discussion in 'Ask GM Customer Service' started by Coach24, May 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Coach24, I'm not going to reply to this Thread anymore.....and with that being said,

Please take a look at the Below Thread......Page 2.....Reply Number #20

Link
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?66017-Ask-GM-Customer-Service/page2

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  2. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

By definition spare means "extra" or "reserve", which I take to mean something that is used in the case of emergency. In todays world the idea of a full sized spare has been long gone. Cars have been using donuts for years. Generally speaking the stock wheels on G.M. truck are 17" with a 265/70/17 tire, and with that you usually get a 17" steel wheel with a matching tire. When you upgrade to a larger size wheel such as 18" or 20" you get 4 wheels to run on the truck and the spare is the existing 17" wheel that is originally on the truck. The tires that come on your upgraded wheels are in a size that matches the overall diameter of the 17" tires that came on the truck. Thus the spare or "extra" or "reserve" tire is ok to run in an emergency. This is really pretty common knowledge and I don't know why you are so surprised at this. The wheel size is not really that critical, the overall diameter of the tire is the most important thing. In addition I am not aware of any company that puts a matching alloy wheel under the bed as a spare. Oh and welcome to the GMTC, most of the guys on here are pretty good guys and are always willing to help, but they don't take kindly to newcomers that come on the site and start out by bashing G.M. especially for something as trivial as the size of the spare. Most guys are on here because they are intensely brand loyal, to a fault sometimes. We love our trucks for the good and the bad, the good usually outweighs the bad though.

3. jake's silverado

jake's silverado Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

You know I was just going to run out and check mine on the 2011 2500 hd, I know it's there i can see it but now I have to get down there to see and i might spill my beer! Cheers and I'll check in a minute!

OK I finished my beer and auto reflex kicked in and another one was opened!, but I managed to pry it from my hand, opened the door and looked at the sticker and it says I have 18in spare... well dropped down at the rear of the truck and there was 18in of black Michelin rubber and a gray rim... I got what I expected!

Now back to more pressing things, my opened beer on this warm humid evening on the patio listening to the hum of Air conditioning units... keep them running!

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  4. ljmueller

ljmueller Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

HOLY COW!! You gotta be kidding me. There are so many things to say about this thread. Really? All this? Over a SPARE tire. I wish I had nothing to worry about. Yikes. Hate to see that guy when things get bad.

5. adampaul1964

I'm with ya!

6. CHEVYVANMAN

CHEVYVANMAN Rockstar 100 Posts

it really is government motors isn't it,

7. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I wondered if this forum was a bad idea.........yup I was right. Stupid tire shop and the owner bought it.

8. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

thanks for the welcome

Appreciate all your welcome wagon hospitality.
    Some actually understand the point , while others can't seem to comprehend the principle of the matter.
    Like many I have been loyal to the Bowtie for over 40 years and still like the older Gm vehicles. Those were built much better than todays Chinese version.

9. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The principal? The principal is you shouldnt use the SPARE as part of your tire rotation! Its not going to have the same wear as your 4 other tires there buddy! It probably doesnt even have the same wheels right?! has some ugly black steel wheel??

So was this first class tire shop going to unmount your spare tire mount it to the matching wheel and add the TPMS to the wheel? Really?????

I dont know how you do it where you live, but I never touch my spare unless I have a flat.....then I get the flat tire replaced or fixed ASAP and put that damn spare back under the truck.

So its an 17" tire.....does it really matter? Again its a temporary aid to get to a repair shop to fix the flat.....nothing more.

This is like those genius car owners that keep their doughnut spare on til the other 3 tires wear out. If it were me...I would have laughed and said WTF, and never looked back.

This why you have a 17" spare.....the dealer probably changed the 17" stock tires and wheels for upgraded 18" tire and wheels and never bothered with the spare. Your VIN probably shows 17" wheels from the factory.( I know this and I am not a GM service person!)

Same goes when the dealer adds a 6" lift and bigger tires.....guess what...they dont touch the spare.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  10. adampaul1964

I thought I explained it quite well in post#32. The "principal" of the matter is the OP is living in the past, when cars came with black steelies and hubcaps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.