1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

2010 Silverdo 1500.......Want to get better braking.......

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by noupf, Apr 29, 2013.

1. noupf

noupf New Member

Hey guys,

Looking for some tips on immproving the braking on my 2010 Ext Cab Silverado 1500 ( 5.3L ). I trailer about 3000 lbs once a month to the race track and back ( about 250 miles each way ) with a single axel trailer without brakes. I have about 45,000 miles on my truck, so the questions are these......

1) Do i just go out and get some performance friction pads and replace the stock pads ( whch I am sure I am going to have to do within the next 12 months )

2) Should I get performance pads and better rotors? Do i need performance rotors or will oem replacemnets work along with better pads?

3) Any suggestions in terms or brands or models of pads and or rotors?

Thanks

2. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

3. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

this is definately one way to go with oversized rims.

also look into crossdrilled/slotted rotors (powerslot, ebc, R1 concepts etc). stainless steel brake lines (russel performance)

4. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

another option is do a axle swap on your trailer to one that has electric brakes, wire up a trailer brake controller and boom, better stopping. thats easier on the truck as well.

Alex

5. noupf

noupf New Member

yea........$2000 for a brake kit.......not remotely in my budget, lol.

I do plan on getting a new trailer this year or next. It will be a dual axel with brakes, but I would like to just add a little more stopping power in palce of the stock stuff.

I found ebc pads ( the brand I actually use on my race motorcycle ), they seem to have a bunch of options to add some more bite to the current brake set up. I may just go with replcaement or slightly upgraded rotors and the ebc yellow pads.

Any other opinions are welcome.

Thanks guys

6. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

I think the Wilwood brake kits are $2500 for the front alone for the 16" rotors.