1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2010 Silverdo Rear end ratio change???

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by alkaspeltzar, Aug 7, 2011.

1. alkaspeltzar

alkaspeltzar New Member

Hey guys,I got a 2010 silverado with 6-speed, 5.3 and 3.08 gears

I pull a 5,000 boat, and cattle trailer pushing 6000lbs. I was told this would not be a problem when buying the truck, but I can tell I need alittle more power when traveling with it. Is it posslbe to replace the 3.08 gears with 3.42 or 3.73? Can the physical gears just be replaced, or does the entire rear axle have to go. Never done this to any of my previous rides, but for what I doing now, I need more pull.

Also, since the rear end would turn at a different speed, does anything have to be changed in the front diff to keep the wheels turning equal?

Any advice or help would be great. THanks guys
  2. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

Yes you can do just the ring & pinion, BUT you should change the ring & pinion in the front diff too so they rotate at the same speed when in 4WD, otherwise you're going to have some major issues :) How much does your cattle trailer weigh when loaded up?
  3. Blackout07

Blackout07 New Member

3.73's front and rear. I believe that's what comes in the 6.2's with the Max Trailering PKG.
  4. billnorman

billnorman Member

I learn something new every day. All 4x4's I've seen are at or near 4:10 ratios. I don't doubt you but that seems awfully high for a 4x4, but maybe that's what the 6 spped tranny is for. You don't have oversized tires on it by any chance do you? A cheaper way to bypass the gear issue might be going to a low profile tire, say a 50 series, for towing. That way you won't have to mess with the front axle either. Just a thought.