Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

2011 1500 5.3 v4 noise

Discussion in 'Ask GM Customer Service' started by chevy11, May 10, 2011.

1. chevy11

chevy11 New Member

I have a new 2011 silverado 1500 5.3. When it kicks down into v4 I makes a weird noise as your driving untill it goes back to v8. Its a quiet squeel/growl noise. Is this normal? ​

2. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have the 5.3L with cylinder deactivation and it's never made a squeal or growl noise in the 4 cyl mode. I'd take it to the dealer and get them to diagnose the problem. Does it always make the noise?

3. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I would also have to recommend contacting your local dealership so that the vehicle can be diagnosed. They should be able to assist you further and have a plan for addressing the issue. I can also look into this issue further. In order to do more research, I will need some more specific information from you such as your name, address, phone number, the VIN for the vehicle, and current mileage. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me either on the thread or via private message. Please feel free to keep me posted if you decide to visit the dealership. Thank you in advance and I look forward to hearing from you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

4. chevy11

chevy11 New Member

I brought my truck in yesterday and they worked on it all day today to figure it out. They had a tech, service manager, and a gm rep. drive it to try and figure out where the noise was coming from. They just called me five minutes ago and said that it was a heat shield up by the motor that would rattle when the engine was chugging in v4 mode. Thank god thats all it was. I had a 05 1500 that was nothing but a lemon, so i traded it for a new f150. 4000 miles later I traded in the ford for my new 2011 1500. I hope I dont regret it!

5. GM Customer Service

I am glad to see that the issue seems to have been resolved. Please feel free to keep me updated. Thank you in advance.

6. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

I have a similar issue when it drops to V4. I can feel a growling in my accelerator pedal as well as my steering wheel. As soon as V8 kicks in it goes away.

7. chevy11

chevy11 New Member

The day after I took the truck home it started doing it even worst then it did before. I called the dealer and they pretty much told me to deal with it. So then i called gm and the lady took my info and said i would recieve a call from a rep within 24 hours. No one called so I called back and gave them the case number and the lady told me that i was scheduled to get a call the next day. No one called so i called and left a message with the extension they gave me and still have not recieved a call. I really wish they would just take this piece of junk back or give me a different one. I should of kept the 2010 ford I had. I didnt have a lick of problems with it!

8. GM Customer Service

Were you able to get ahold of anyone? I would be happy to look into this as well. In order to do so, I will need your case number. Thank you.

9. chevy11

chevy11 New Member

I took it to my dealer this morning and talked to the head man. They had a tech drive it and then the tech called gm to see if they could help figure this out. I love the way my dealership is handling this, just wish I could say they same about my experience with dealing with gm directly. I hope they resolve this problem because I do really like my new truck.

10. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

I have same issue and been to dealer twice. they can't figure it out. Of course the last time they din't even leave their parking lot. so how did they test it? Yeah they tried to baffle me with GM BS but I always write mileage before and after to see how much they like driving my truck.
    They said they washed my truck last time and when I picked it up there was tar all down the drivers door. Nice wash job.

Last edited: May 23, 2011