1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2011 engine surge

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by dock420, Jun 30, 2011.

1. jkingman

jkingman New Member

I am having the same issue with this "surge". My truck (2011 Silverado Crew Cab LTZ) has almost lunged into a vehicle in front of me in traffic. I have had this to the dealer where they had it for two days. They could not find any issues....(nothing in the computer...codes they said). Anyway, I feel like I have to ride the brake in fear that it will idle "surge" and basically cause me to lose control of the situation. I am calling this a safety issue, and I am looking for some direction here. It appears from dock429's posts that this was the symptom he/she was experiencing, but the post above...does not seem to address that issue. Anyone else have any input?

Thank you for your review.

"#PIP4828:Rough Idle and/or Lack of Power on Acceleration After Cold Start.

Models: 2009-2011 Chevrolet Express, Silverado, Suburban
    2009-2011 GMC Savana,
    Sierra

With any of the following V8 Engine RPO Codes:
    6.0l-L76, L77, L96, LY6"
  2. dock420

dock420 Member

Sorry for revamping this post, but the problem may be solved and a lesson learned for me. I took my truck back for the above problem on Friday about 0700. I had the truck sit for a while, hoping it would cool down enough to replicate the issue. Went on a test drive with my service writer and the head tech guy. Murphy's law took over and it did not show the problems. They asked to keep it at the dealership for the day. Around 4:30 they called and asked that I come back, that they may have found the problem. I arrive and meet a host of employees around my truck and a tech sitting in the drivers seat. He's turned slightly, sitting with his feet resting on the nerf bars and starts explaining the all day process with my truck. I really wanted him to stop dragging out the explanation (like the length of this response) and tell me the problem they discovered. As he explained the time line, i noticed the truck was on and idling. I then noticed the vehicle was in drive and the emergency brake was not on. About that time he revealed that they discovered that the rear drum brakes were not releasing properly.

It appears that this has not been an engine/ECM problem, but the brakes not properly disengage. I promise that I am not usually this wordy, just happy that it may be fixed and I can get back to liking my Chevrolet.....
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  3. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Excellent work detective. Now all of us who have experienced this issue , but with less dealership enthusiasm , can now go see about correcting the problem.

Thanks for all your efforts and posting to help others.
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Well good they found the issue, but I suspect the rear brakes are now pretty worn.
  5. bsmntcritr

bsmntcritr Member

Dock420,
    Thanks for taking the time to make all your posts on this problem. As basically just a backyard guy when it comes to car repair, I really like to hear solutions to problems. Particularly so when the solution is a bit unexpected. Kudos to the dealership to figuring out the problem, and best of luck to you for the future.
  6. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Yup. You are a car/truck junkie. Where in Utah?
  7. bsmntcritr

bsmntcritr Member

I'm in northern Utah. Roughly 25 mi north of Salt Lake.