1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

2011 GMC Sierra 5.3L Oil Pressure Issues at 9,500 miles

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Mikethatiger23, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Mikethatiger23

Mikethatiger23 New Member

Last August I bought a brand new 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 CC SLE with the 5.3L. Around 4,000 miles I took it in for an oil change at a local place before a 6 hour trip out of state, no big deal. A few months later, I believe closer to 9,000 miles, I took my truck to a dealer for an oil change, I had a card for a free oil change w/ the time to kill. Well not long after their oil change, I noticed my oil pressure gauge was reading out of the norm (i.e 35psi at cold start, right under 40psi accelerating, and at 20psi when stopped with engine warmed up). I contacted the dealership and they said it didnt sound like a problem, but would gladly check it out. Come to find out, my oil pump was weak and their was "trash" in the line. Oil pump, pressure relief valve, and oil all replaced. My truck was brought in because my gauge was out of the norm, and a problem was located. The problem was "fixed" and verified with a mechanical gauge, yet my dash gauge still reads out of the norm. Does anyone else have or had this issue and how was it resolved if so?

Also when I say norm, I am referring to the dash gauge showing more towards the 40psi mark. I refer to this as the norm because that is what the gauge showed until approximately 9,600 when it dropped and an issue was located.
    My cluster all shows to be working fine, and the repairs were covered under warranty.

2. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

hmm, dunno what to tell you on that one. could be the sending unit for the gauge itself is bad... is the dealership posative that they fixed the oil pressure issue? are they sure the oil pressure is where its sposed to be and the gauge is just reading low?

id get that checked along with the sending unit.

Alex

3. KevAlexander

KevAlexander New Member

I dont think thats your fault bro, I had the same problem, cold start and idle was fine but when I accel, around under 2k rpm it flies to 40. They replaced a few things (They werent clear on what they did, but problem was fixed.) But now i have a constant problem with my gas pedal, it keeps messing up and cutting power to my engine, theyve replaced the whole gas pedal assembly 4 times and every time it fixes the problem for a few months.

4. Mikethatiger23

Mikethatiger23 New Member

Yeah, I brought it back again and the mechanic came speak to me. I asked him why if the problem was fixed my gauge is still off. He shrugged his shoulders...

5. gmcbob

gmcbob New Member

I also bought a gmc sierra 2011 in August of 2011. It is a 4.8 engine. After the second oil change at 10,333 miles my oil gauge is acting differently. It now reads approx. 40psi when cold and once the engine heats up it reads about 35psi at about 1200rpm and drops off to 20psi at a idle of 500rpm. I believe it read 40psi or better before. A tech. from my dealer said the pressure is normal.