1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2011 GMC Terrain - Pinging Noise During Cold Start

Discussion in 'Chevy Equinox Forum (GMC Terrain)' started by MWright936, Feb 11, 2012.

1. MWright936

MWright936 New Member 1000 Posts

My wife bought a GMC Terrain last year. Most of the time, when the car is started (when the engine is cold), there is a metallic pinging type noise. It's difficult to tell where it's coming from, but I was hoping maybe someone has experienced the same thing and gotten it figured out. Thanks!
  2. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I m not sure when you bought it but a 2011 should have a 5 year -100k drivetrain warranty. Any issuses with the motor should be covered under the drivetrain warranty. I would let the dealer correct the problem.Good Luck and I hope it can be an easy fix!!
  3. MWright936

Yeah it's definitely under warranty, but I was hoping to get an idea of what it might be first. We have taken it to the dealership but they'll have to keep it overnight, and that's tough to work out at the moment.
  4. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It wouldnt hurt to ask for a loaner!!! Some will and some wont.
  5. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member 1000 Posts

I had a similar issue with,my 08 sierra, it was a spark plug shorting out. Mine was after installing new headers and one of the spark plug writes was to close to the header :)

I don't know if that's your issue...but something to look at...but if its under .warranty let the dealer look at it.
  6. MWright936

Just an update. We took the Terrain in to the local dealer, and it's the cam actuator (whatever that is). Apparently there is a service bulletin for it, and they will be replacing it. Thanks for the input!