2011 GMC Terrain SLE FWD Catalytic Converter

Discussion in 'Chevy Equinox Forum (GMC Terrain)' started by Jeff&Linds, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Jeff&Linds

Jeff&Linds Member

So at around 80K the engine light came on, I went to the dealership and they said that the catalytic converter was shot. Thankfully it is still under warranty. They replaced it.
    A day later the check engine light went on again...they scanned and told me that it was the O2 sensors. I got those changes at my mechanic and the engine light came back on, I took it back to the dealership and they said that it must be bad parts that I got. So I exchanged the O2 sensors and the engine light came on again.
    I took it back to the dealership and they said that now its the mass air flow sensor. so I paid them $185 to put it in for me.
    I had horrible customer service from the service manager John Svab at Frost GM in Brampton,Ontario and I called GM Canada to tell them my issues and they said they would look into the issues.
    I got a call back from GM Canada today and they said that the dealership has requested that I find another dealership to go to. I know. I can't believe that GM Canada would allow their dealerships to tell their customers that we don't want your business. The is mind blowing to me. I was supposed to be doing a oil consumption test with them and now they have said to do it at another dealership.
    I also know that converters should last the life of modern cars, and for this one to go so soon, there must be underlying issues.
    I asked them why my converter failed and they can't tell me why. They said that parts fail all the time. its a car and these things happen.

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Just an FYI, convertors have an 8 year warranty.

3. Jeff&Linds

Jeff&Linds Member

What do you think the underlying issue is here for a cat to go within 3 years?

4. squatchy

squatchy Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

So you have issues, and the stealership can just basically say f off...thats absurd.

Basically anything getting into the exhaust that shouldnt be...unburnt fuel, oil, or coolant can cause problems fairly quickly.

5. Jeff&Linds

Jeff&Linds Member

well this sucks!!! they won't even look into the problem for me. just replaced the cat, but I am sure that this will just happen again in another 3 years or sooner?

6. RayVoy

Parts fail.

Parts can also fail because of abuse from other parts (raw fuel, for example)

When a cat fails, there should be a code indicating that the front and rear O2 sensors detect a bad cat.

If the engine light came back on, that tells me the original cat was NOT at fault.

If changing the O2 sensors cured the problem, then one of the sensors are to blame.

However, O2s did not fix the problem. It appears a new mass air was the fix.

So, the conclusion, is that the GM shop did not properly diagnose the problem correctly.

To complicate matters, you introduced a second repair shop and probably parts (non GM O2 sensors) that the PCM wasn't happy with.

And then, I suspect you may have given the service guys a hard time; and then, called GM Canada and gave them a hard time.

I say let it go

7. squatchy

squatchy Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

So you're saying because they didn't do their job right and he wasn't happy about it, he needs to just drop it? Do you work for GM?

When you get a code for cats those things all fall under the umbrella. You search the code and it will bring up bad cats, bad o2 sensors, bad mass air flow. You could even replace all 3 and still get the very same code because all along it was caused by a faulty egr valve, or a small leak anywhere in the intake/exhaust line. He was pretty much dealing with a GM service department addressing a problem like a common weekend backyard mechanic. That can't be considered acceptable by any customer, or GM as a company. And then for GM Canada to just say the dealer has requested you find another dealership to work with...

8. RayVoy

No, what I'm saying is that a dealer and GM head office are not going to tell a customer to go find an other place for service unless there was amply reason to do so.
    Both of these companies deal with upset customers every day, most of these customers will end up with their problems being addressed and generally the customer, the dealer and GM, will reach a reasonably solution.

I'm just saying, head office would not allow a dealer to order a customer to go elsewhere, and back up that demand, unless there was higher than average conflict.

All I'm suggesting, is that if there is a lesson to be learned, learn it, suck it up and move on.

And no, I don't, and never have, worked for GM.

summitwhite11 likes this.
  9. Jeff&Linds

Jeff&Linds Member

yea lesson learned that dealerships are a rip off!
    I had horrible customer service. The service manager was extremely rude, while I was talking to him and telling him about the issues I was having he was working on his computer and not even looking at me, he was telling me with his body language that he didn't even care. Also another employee there told me that he remembered my survey that I sent in about the service and he said that I insulted them. You don't ever tell your customers that, at my job we want our customers to be honest and we learn a lot from our surveys.
    They misdiagnosed the problem in the first place and all I wanted was my money back for my O2 sensors because that wasn't the issue. I have only and will only buy GM original parts.
    They were upset at the fact that I got my own mechanic to do the O2 sensors. I am allowed to go where ever I like as a customer. They said that I had to pay for the mass air flow sensor but i wouldn't have to pay for labour and that was the best they could do....the mass air flow sensor takes all of 2 seconds to put in....soooo much labour here. Right.
    BTW I am not letting this go, I have already put some info out there on social media and I will be contacting head office again. I am looking into contacting one of those consumer helper shows. I also googled the dealership itself and in Feb a lady said that she spent over $800 in unnecessary repairs and now her car is not drivable. Surprise surprise.

10. Jeff&Linds

Jeff&Linds Member

I got this message from GM on Twitter!!!

A full and fair review was done in with Sherry and Frost. We can appreciate unexpected repairs can frustration. The dealership diagnosis...

... determined that the oxygen sensor and mass airflow were not related to the catalytic converter....

[​IMG]
    ...Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions or comments. ^JFS