1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2011 Sierra Crew Cab rear seat storage

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Mikethatiger23, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Mikethatiger23

Mikethatiger23 New Member

I have a 2011 GMC Sierra Crew Cab SLE and was thinking about building my own under seat storage box in the rear. The ones sold are nice, but I was looking to build one half the size to keep a few small items from rolling around. Just curious if anyone attempted to do the same. Any suggestions or specifications would be appreciated!
  2. AMac

AMac New Member

I went for the OEM under seat storage box and it has come in pretty handy. I keep lots of cleaning products, some tools, and water in the storage box, and it was compatible from my Sierra to my Silverado. If you made something you might want to give it a rubber bottom to keep it from sliding out from underneath the seat.
  3. Mikethatiger23

I looked at the OEM storage. I like the set up and I believe it can be bolted on to the floor where the seat attaches. Thats exactly what I want, but only half. I store some items under the seat that extend out, so the front lip would be in the way. Im looking at it in the way of a speaker box in my head, behind the driver seat my storage and passenger side open floor.
  4. AMac

AMac New Member

What type of things would you need to store? If they are small enough they can go into the pockets of the front seats. Another idea is to keep a small container in the back of your truck in the bed area. Of course you would have to find a way to keep it from sliding around.
  5. Mikethatiger23

Along the lines of tools/ smaller equipment. A little too much for the seat pockets + the pockets are obstructed by seat covers. Id like to construct a custom fit storage box to maximize the space available. The only containers I located are too small, and the next size up prevents me from being able to put the seat down completely.
  6. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Active Member 1000 Posts

I was thinking about doing one for my 99 Sierra to go under the driver's side of the bench seat in the rear. Haven't really thought about what I want to make it out of yet though.
  7. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts

8. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Active Member 1000 Posts

the oem one is fairly handy, i have it. if you could find one on craigslist and chop it down it would be a better fit. as far as building one goes, some 1x6 pine sanded and water sealed would work well, just need to rip it down at a angle for the seat slope. i could do it fairly easily. get some corner braces to hold it all together. maybe some 1/4 plywood for the bottom? corse, if you use the floor as the bottom and just want to keep things from rolling around, you would even need to make a bottom for it.

as far as attaching it goes, that you would have to figure out. havnt looked at mine close enough to point you in a direction for that.

Alex
  9. Coach24

Coach24 New Member 1000 Posts

I have been working on one that will be similar to the one in my sons Megacab. A friend has been drawing up a schematic that will show a DIYER how to make it.It will include a flip up shelf that will allow one to throw a sleeping bag on the back seat and take a nap.. This is one area where Dodge has a Better Idea.
  10. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

Husky Liners has underseat storage. I have one and it works very well.