Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

2011 Sierra Transfer Case Noise

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Cullihall, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Cullihall

Cullihall New Member

Hi guys.

I just bought a brand new GMC Sierra 4X4 Ext. cab Nevada Edition with a manual transfer case.

When I drive in 4 Hi the front end makes a terrible noise like bad brake pads on a rotor and gets louder as I accelerate. The noise goes away when I shift back into 2 wheel drive. I took it back to the dealer and the mechanic told me that this noise is normal for a manual transfer case (it sure does not sound normal to me). I have never had a 4X4 without the electronic transfer case before so I don't know if there should be a noise.

If anyone knows, would you please let me know what should be normal and what should not?

2. donl

donl Rockstar 100 Posts

If I were you I'd go back to your dealership and ask to drive another pickup with the identical set up and see if it in fact is that noisy.

3. canislupis69

canislupis69 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I have a manual t-case and have never had this problem.

4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Try another dealer. Any dealer that says thats normal is one to stay away from.

5. Cullihall

Cullihall New Member

Awesome. Thank you guys for your time! I will let you know if I find anything out.

6. Cullihall

Cullihall New Member

To anyone who has wondered if this is supposed to be normal.

I just took another 2011 GMC Sierra with a manual transfer case out for a test drive and it sounded just like the one I have. This atrocious noise must be normal on new 4X4 GM trucks with a manual transfer case. If I had known this I would never have bought it. In my opinion, while traveling on a straight road, you should not be able to tell if you are in 4 High just by sound.

This sucks. I am stuck in a brand new truck that makes a terrible "but normal" sound that is bad enough that I won't even use the 4X4! Thanks GM.

7. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I wonder if GM puts synthetic lube in at the factory? If not I would try synthetic lube and see if it quites down. Just a thought.

8. canislupis69

canislupis69 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

That is really weird because mine does not make this noise.

9. Christina L

Christina L New Member

I have the same problem, your right It Sucks!