2011 silverado headlight bulb issue

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by RadoRage, Oct 29, 2013.

1. RadoRage

RadoRage Rockstar

Hey guys,

I have been experiencing an issue with the right (passanger side) low beam bulb/headlight on my truck;

When I start or unlock the vehicle, both low beams come on in the morning. After about 2-3 min (not exact) the right passenger side low beam cuts off and doesnt come back on. Everything else (highs, low on the left, signals) work fine at all times. Its just the low on the passenger side thats been the issue. This has been going on for the past couple weeks. Additionally, when I turn off the vehicle and trun it back on, the light still wont come on. It usually takes a few to several hours of being off for the light to (sometimes) come back on during the day.

When it first started happening, I had the bulb replaced but after a few days, it started again. Not only that, but now (in the last day or 2) I've noticed that the passenger side low beam wont come on at all. I dont think its the bulb as it was a brand new PIAA bulb. There is no visible damage on the headlight and it doesnt flicker so I dont think its a loose wire either.

Any help/advice would be great.

Thanks.

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would change the relay. could be a bad pole inside that is making the connection for the passenger side and not the drivers. You could always switch it with one that you know works (with the same number on it of course) just to test out my theory before spending the $16. On my truck the high, low, horn, ac compressor all use the same number relay

3. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I have the same headlamp bulbs in my 2000 silverado. 13 years 150,000 miles . good amount of on time.

why did you have this passenger side bulb replaced ?

with the head lamp bulbs the glass portion must be not touched. should be wiped with a solvent to remove any oil/dirt.

possible that the socket was damaged when the bulb was replaced ..you will see burnt wiring etc....

4. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

The truck is a 2011, are you still under warranty?

If not, there are relays in the main fuse box under the hood. That would be a good place to start.

5. RadoRage

RadoRage Rockstar

Thanks for the input Guys. It's still under the certified pre-owned warranty so on my way home from work I stopped at the dealership. They said it was a melted terminal connecter and swapped it out for a new assembly. Took all of two hours and was covered under warranty.

Everything looks to be working properly.