2011 Silverado - Noise from rear end while turning and hitting a bump

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by dprince48, Feb 13, 2013.

1. dprince48

dprince48 New Member

I have a 2011 Silverado with 14,xxx miles. I recently took it in to my local Chevy dealer for a noise that developed in the rear end. The noise is a sort of banging noise when going over a bump with the front wheels turned. I most notice it when backing out of my driveway, as it has the usual low curb that most subdivisions have. The dealer told me that it was a normal noise caused by the rear axle shaft shifting and hitting the axle retaining pins. I don't think that is normal, and it never did it until recently.

Any ideas?

2. a.graham52

a.graham52 Rockstar 100 Posts

wouldnt know without hearing and seeing it. do you have a hitch with a reciver in? those can causes noises over bumps.

3. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

Do you have the G80 differential?

I disagree, my 2008 and 2013 never made a banging noise when I made turns or hitting bumps.

Now my 2008 made a clunking noise when the locking differential mechanism engaged when I first got it. GM apparently put the wrong fluid in there and simply replaced the fluid.

4. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

have you removed the rear diff cover and replaced the diff gear oil and clean yet ? this should be done after 2,ooomiles of use when new.

gears need inspecting for proper meshing and any abnormal wear teeth cracks damage etc.

if the vehicle was used to tow or haul heavy loads first 2000miles this does cause issues with the G80 diff.

5. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

2000 miles?? change even before the engine oil?? I can understand wanting to get the "break-in" oil out but I think 2k miles is a little soon. Regardless if this was done or not it still should not be making any abnormal noises that was not heard all along.

6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Did you check the "U" bolts over the axle for the proper torque?
    I had a problem similar to that right after I removed the rear 1" blocks, correctly torquing the bolts solved it.

7. ronald cuellar

ronald cuellar New Member

i have the same problem dealer said it was normal

8. LURCH

LURCH Rockstar

My 2011 makes a noise and best I can tell its the spare tire. It has a spring on it I guess so you can't over tighten it. I let all the air out of it then tightened it up and put air back in it and it helped some but it's still there. I've had it on a lift and checked everything thats all I could find.

9. I had the same problem and someone on here told me there was a tbs for the rear springs, took it in to my dealer no more problem. I will say that it is starting to come back. Here is the tsb for the springs, #06-03-09-004d. Hope that helps you like it did my truck.