2011 vs 2012 5.3L V8

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by plow78, Oct 17, 2011.

1. plow78

plow78 New Member

Current NON Chevy owner, looking at chevy
    I looked at the 5.3 L V8 the dealer has on the lot and the 2011 have a MPG listed as 13 C 18 H. On the same 2012 it is listed 15 C 21 H.. I have searched but was unsucessful . Can anyone tell me the differrence. what did Chevy do inorder to get the better MPH. Also anyone have any advise good or bad on this engine/ vehicle for me.
    thanks in advance

2. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Did you check to see if they had the same gear ratio?? the '12 could have 3.08's where the '11 might have 3.42's or even 3.73's. Just a guess.

3. RayD

RayD New Member

My 2011 silverado crewcab is getting 14mpg city... I could go for 16mpg or better!

4. CKNSLS

CKNSLS Member 100 Posts

There was recently an article in Car and Driver Magizine explaining how the EPA has changed their testing procedures. This is the reason for the difference.

You could try to google that. The truck weighs 6,000 pounds - don't buy one if your concerned about the miles per gallon.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  5. Airborne Medic

Airborne Medic Rockstar 100 Posts

I am averaging a combined millage of 17.3 mpg on a tank of gas with the cheep stuff. Haven't tried the E85 yet.

6. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

The 5.3 is a strong durable motor which balances mpgs and HP. I have the flex fuel and run E85 most of the time. What do you plan to use the truck for, towing, off-road, racing or etc? The motor and setup you choose will vary depending on how you use it. They have a max towing option with the 6.2l, hitch and different shocks in the rear.

7. plow78

plow78 New Member

my main use for the truck is going to be daily driver. I dont tow much at all, but need the four doors(back seat) for kids and i hate not to have a bed .. so i am hestiant on a suv... i just like a p/u

8. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have the crew cab and when we go on road trips we're very comfortable, even when we bring our chocolate lab. Flip up the bench seat and he's all set. My wife has said that the ride is very comfortable. The 5.3l will give you the power you need to haul and gets good fuel efficiency. As was mentioned earlier, if you're concerned about mpgs, you may want to look elsewhere, but for a 5,500 lb vehicle, these do get pretty good mpgs. If you get the flex fuel motor, you can use gas or E85. You lose some mpgs with ethanol, but get a little more power with it, and it's made in America. I find it works out for me as long as the price is at least 10% less than gas.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

9. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

EPA site shows the 2011 5.3 6 speed 15-21 the 2012 is the same with some EFI being 15/22
    Even shows the K 4X4 with 15/21 I think- that is a surprise 4x4 same as 2wd

Could the 13/18 have been the bigger motor?

10. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I would have to agree with the previous posts that the difference in MPG could be the result of different options on the vehicle. I am showing that these are similar for the two models years for vehicles with the same options. If you have further questions please feel free to contact me directly. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.