1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2012 2500HD, 500 miles and rust spots...

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by 73AMC, Jul 6, 2012.

1. 73AMC

73AMC New Member

I purchased my 2012 2500HD brand new about 3 weeks ago. Have since put 530 miles on her during the "break in". I went out yesterday to get something from my truck and notices tiny little rust spots in the chrome plastic portion of the bumper as well as some in the chrome grill and the steel bumper itself.

They look like orange flecks that I tried to wipe off with my finger but didnt seem to come off. What gives with this? Im not too please at this point. Not even 600 miles on the truck and there are little rist flecks all over the chrome. I was thinking about clay baring the chrome section with the flecks in it and then polishing it to see if it takes care of it. I also plan on telling the dealer about it on my first oil change.

Have you guys experienced this before? Ive read articles about it being "fallout" from the factory where it was assembled.

Thoughts, opionion?

Kinda bummed. I know you have to be pretty close to see, but I know its there and its a breand new freakin truck. Im please with EVERYTHING about it except this. Im not really into chrome to begin with, but this is how the truck was.

Thanks,

Justin
  2. steved

steved Former Member

Take it to the dealer and see if it is actually rust...if it is, they should replace the bumper at no cost.
  3. 73AMC

73AMC New Member

Yeah, That's what my plan was. We're going away in a week for 10 days. Ill take it in once we get home. Just wasnt sure if this is something that anyone else experienced.
  4. TexasTechRaider

TexasTechRaider New Member

Pictures? I would like to see what's happening. I'm sure the dealer would be more than happy to fix your problems.
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I wouldnt be surprised if it wasnt metalic particles from some other source that stuck to your truck, it would be rare to have corrosion bubbling through the finish and chrome so soon. I've read complaints of acid rain and wind born metalic particles doing this.
    Don be surprised if the dealership isnt very responsive, this is something that probabbly wont be covered under your warranty due to the nature of it.
    I wouldnt be surprised if the most they offered to do was detail the exterior of the truck, but then if it's what I think it is that'll solve the problem.
  6. 73AMC

73AMC New Member

Here are a couple pictures. They arent the best, I was using my iphone. I didnt have the SLR handy. I took these pictures after I used the meguires clay bay on it. It def. took the contaminates out, because the surface is now smooth but I still have these ugly little pit marks. What do you guys think? Should I still make a trip to the dealership?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. TexasTechRaider

I would goto the dealership, the worst they can say is they don't care but since your truck is practically new I don't see why they wouldn't try and help out a potential long term customer. Let us know how everything works out!
  8. 73AMC

73AMC New Member

It seems as if it is more so the plastic chrome top piece of the bumper and the grill. Those are the two plastic chrome pieces out of the front end that are the worst.
  9. 73AMC

73AMC New Member

Does your truck show any marks like this in the chrome up front? Just curious.
  10. TexasTechRaider

Nope, never has and mine is sure older than yours. The only thing that looks bad on mine is the ungodly amount of bugs that are attracted to my truck.. But nothing like yours. I would have already been raising h*ll at the dealership until I got either the chrome replaced or a new truck.