Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ ZR1 4x4 Project

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by elittle, Apr 8, 2012.

1. elittle

elittle Member

I'd really like to go all out and make this thing a mean SOB! I don't want it to be like 4 feet off the ground. That would be awesome, but it's not practical for day to day use where I live (I have to park in a carport that is kind of small). The main thing I want to achieve with my truck is to make it capable of doing a lot of off-road while still being able to function as a daily driver.

Right now I'm reading around and trying to figure out exactly what I want to do to it. This site is great, especially your guys sig tags, they give me an idea about different things I can do and I get to see what they look like on a similar truck.

I don't need to go rock crawling, but I would like it to be capable of handing some pretty rough terrain. Eventually I'd like to have some RBP side steps, K&N or AEM cold air intake, some kind of lift, Borla S-Type catback, Line-X spray in liner, and new front and back bumpers with a winch in the front, I don't know if I would need a winch in the back also.

I like the big ass Iron Bull or RBP metal bumpers with the integrated spot for a winch and cutouts for lights. I'm debating on a tonneau cover also. I like the RBP side steps because they are flush to the body with only the steps sticking out so they don't reduce clearance and give the edge of the truck a small amount of protection.

If anyone has any input or ideas on stuff I could put on it that would be great, so far I'm learning a lot just by browsing this site. I like some of the trucks I've seen that aren't super high off the ground but have really big ass wide tires. I'm not sure which is best for off-road and on road use though. The thing I need the most help with is deciding what kind of lift to do to it. I'm thinking another 3 or 4 inches would be ok? I don't know if I need to lift the body or the suspension or how any of that works yet and what is the correct way to lift it and the bad way to do it.

Hopefully I'll be able to update this thread with photos and updates on any progress. Thanks guys!

2. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I really hate my computer sometimes. I had a whole post reply written up and hit "post" and it went away. Oh well. I'll try to sum it up... I'm trying to do something very similar with my truck. I posted a thread that's had good discussions going on so far. http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php/88572-Help-Fine-Tune-My-Lift-Plans

I'm planning to go 6" but you can do the exact same thing with 4" and probably more easily than my 6. The biggest thing to ask yourself is what you'll realistically be doing with it. That will define a lot of what you'll need to do. Do you know what size tires you want on the truck? You can fit 35s with a 4", but you'll likely have to do some trimming. Also keep in mind that you're likely going to lose mpg with a lift and bigger tires. A tune can help with this. Don't plan on getting the lift and tires without the tune.

Again, depending on what you'll functionally doing, you MIGHT want to look at brake upgrades as well. This can go from a few hundred dollars to several thousand alone. So be realistic about what you need. While doing your research, you'll also need to decide on some kind of budget. Often, you get what you pay for, so don't just go with the cheapest. That being said, you don't always have to shell out the most either. Shop around, ebay, CL, thefind.com (thank you Amac for this one).

As far as bumpers, I'm looking at the fab fours front and rear myself. I love the look and the front comes with a mount for up to a 12,000 pound winch. These you can sometimes find used and save some cash that way. The fab fours front also comes in three styles, either just the bumper, pre runner style or with the grille guard. I've got nothing bad to say about the other brands either. I just like the fab fours personally.

Regarding side steps, I'm looking at the RBP RX-3 nerfs for some rocker protection and because I love the look by far over anything else I've found. That's the only reason though I prefer those over some others.

As far as things like a tonneau cover, that's all just up to your own taste. I'm getting one because my truck is also a daily driver and I want convenience as well. My wife's driving it while I'm out of the country and we live in the Seattle area. So I like knowing she won't have to worry about stuff like a bed full of groceries getting rained on.

I think I touched on some other stuff in my original post that went bye bye, but I don't remember it all offhand.

The last thing I'll add is that one thing that's helping me is I have a fairly detailed goal of what I want the truck to look like when I'm finished as well as what I want it to be capable of. Therefore, every purchase is with this goal in mind. Things like my wheels don't really fit with the current look of the truck, but they will fit the final result, so I know I won't have to replace those again. Therefore, before making a single purchase, decide on the end result desired. Yes, it might always change, but having a plan can save you a lot of rework.

I hope this helps, and post any more questions you have and we'll help as best we can.

3. elittle

elittle Member

I just ordered the Borla S-Type dual out the back exhaust. It should be here in 2 days! I'll post a pic of it when it comes in and try and take some sound of it after I get it on the truck.

4. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

That'd be awesome. There's probably 150 threads on here about people asking about "the best" exhaust so the more posts we can get with the look and sound of what people already have, the better. Looking forward to hearing it.

5. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

http://www.trailready.com/bumpers/gm_08.html. I have used their bumpers in the past on my grand cherokee. The thread that Jeremy linked has most of the answers to your questions. If you have anymore just let us know. I like the path you are looking at going down. Good luck.

6. elittle

elittle Member

I got the Borla system put on today... It sounds a LOT better than stock!!! I'll take a video of the sound once the weather gets better, it's hailing and raining like crazy outside right now.

7. elittle

elittle Member

Here is a short video of what the Borla S-Type sounds like. I didn't get crazy with it, I just let it warm up for a minute then rev it up a few times over a couple minutes.

---------- Post added at 01:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 AM ----------

Part of the video got cut off on the end. Maybe once the truck has more than 550 miles on it I will post another video of some more intense stepping on the gas. I don't want to break it yet. :)

8. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

What's up with the zr1 in the title. This truck getting a new sc motor?

9. elittle

elittle Member

Heh, that would be a typo. ZR1 should have been Z71...

10. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Gotcha, I was Gunna say that a 15k motor