2012 Chevy Silverado Paint Chipping

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by GrizzlyTN, May 3, 2012.

Newest Photos

1. GrizzlyTN

GrizzlyTN New Member 100 Posts

Got a brand new truck with 1500 miles on it, and there are rock chips behind the front tires on the sides of the truck. It hasn't even seen mud or grass yet... how is it already chipping???
  2. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

"...,and there are rock chips behind..." <<<< that there is your answer
  3. GrizzlyTN

Yeah BUT my 2008 GMC never had a chip in that spot and it's been all over mud n rocks! Is there a protective film I can put on that area?
  4. UpsetProps

UpsetProps New Member 100 Posts

You should be able to use the same 3M protective film that they put on the hoods. Or you can buy aftermarket mudflaps that just bolt on (no drilling) for about $100 for front and rear.
  5. rileyjr16

Just giving you a hard time. Yes there is a film you can put over it to keep it from happening. My dads 92 GMC got repainted 3 times for the same thing in a year but after the 3rd time he said ah just screw it. Is it just clear coat or is it through paint and all?
  6. GrizzlyTN

Paint and all, I am PISSED... I mean damn! I just got the thing! Mama always said I can't keep nothin nice! haha...
    I'm gonna check out that protective film, I really don't like the mud flaps they make anymore.

My GMC never did anything like this though and I had it for three years of mud and gravel roads. That's the only thing that makes me worry, this is brand new and already chipping.

I had a 3" lift and mud tires on the GMC though, maybe the mud tires didn't hold onto rocks like this AT tires?

Just grasping at ideas to rationalize my hurt feelins
  7. jnbama

jnbama Member 100 Posts

I know how it is, put a key scratch next to the door handle third day I had mine, fill chips in with touch paint
  8. rileyjr16

You got that right A/T tires pick up and hold more rocks. I have it bad on the rear fender right behind the tires but my truck is 13 years old. Have if repainted if you want I'll see if I can dig up some good film.
  9. BrownPats420

BrownPats420 New Member 100 Posts

I know your upset about it and all but any tire throws rocks up, It happens. If it's major, time to bust out the sandpaper and a quart of factory paint. If otherwise just pick up some touch up.
  10. TylerB

TylerB New Member

I have the same exact truck, same 2012 Z71 package in red with the painted red bumper. I started noticing paint chips right away also. Mine has around 3500 miles and it has never seen gravel or any off-roading whatsoever. I have paint chips on the front, a lot behind the tires; excessively more than what should be normal for the amount of driving, and I even have a few chips on the roof of my pickup, not sure how this is possible. If this is the paint they put on their new trucks I will never purchase another one again. I did not have any issues with my 2001, 2004, or 2007 silverado and I was a very loyal Silverado person.
    To reply to the following post, "...,and there are rock chips behind..." <<<< that there is your answer."
    This is not normal wear and tear on the paint. There is no reason to have the amount of chips driving 1000-4000 miles; this is NOT NORMAL!!!!
    Makes me question my choice in a new pickup.
    Tyler