2012 silverado MPG help!

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by 2012silv, Jun 22, 2012.

1. 2012silv

2012silv New Member

Howdy,

I just purchased a 2012 silverado 1500 crew cab 5.3l with the 6 speed transmission 3.08 gears. This truck is listed as getting 15c/21hw mpg.. I have had the truck 3 weeks now and i'm averaging is 12.8 mpg.. pretty disappointed as I was expecting to average 17-18 mpg...

My driving consists of both highway and city, some traffic. But I noticed just setting my foot on the gas at ALL to accelerate I get instant fuel economy of like 3-4mpg... and I mean even slight acceleration...

I almost think something is wrong, so I was hoping to get community insight.. by the way this was a brand new truck.

Thanks

2. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

It's pretty common for the DIC to drop your MPGs like that when accelerating....just like it's common for it to hit 99 mpg when decelerating. With that being said though, your average overall mileage does seem low. You may want start by checking some of the items listed in the thread below (i.e. tire pressure, excess weight, faster highway speeds such as 80mph vs 65mph, etc.).

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sh...-MPG?highlight=increase mileage#axzz1yXW1rBdt

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I've got essentially the same truck, when new 6 months ago it got around 15/16 avg (increased to 19avg now).
    One difference I see is your gearing, what size tires are you running?

4. LOVINTHESTORM

LOVINTHESTORM Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I bet if you had the 3.42 gearing your mileage would be better. If you were to put bigger tires on it you can exepct it to get much worse.

5. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I can not believe that they put 3.08's in the trucks:neutral:. Im disappointed with the 3.42's with 35" tires that were on my truck when I bought it new and can not imagine having that gearing. I did increase in mpg from 11 to 13 after I got about 4200 miles though. I would be willing to bet your average will increase 2 to 3 mpg. I wouldnt plan on any larger tires though unless you do some gear changes.

6. carmantx

carmantx Member

I sold my 2010 truck with the 5.3L. I drove over 100,000 miles in it, and never got better than 16 on the highway, no matter what I did. Couldn't afford to keep driving it.