Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

2012 Silverado~ unlocking drivers door with the key ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by 62930-03, Oct 17, 2012.

1. 62930-03

62930-03 Rockstar

Am I missing something...why when I unlock the drivers door using the key does the horn sound off until I push unlock on the remote/FOB ?

I looked in the manual and didn't find anything about this.

Thanks in advance for any help

2. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Your horn shouldn't make any sound when unlocking, only locking. I'm kinda of confused on how you worded it but if I got it read it correctly then something isn't right

- - - Updated - - -

I just re read that again and now I understand and I just walked outside and did it to my truck and the horn didn't go off

- - - Updated - - -

Alright I'm sorry I'm an idiot my doors were unlocked. I locked them with the remote and then opened it up with my key and my alarm went off. My guess is when u use the key it doesn't turn off the alarm system

3. 62930-03

62930-03 Rockstar

I locked the truck using the button on the drivers door then unlocked with the key, opened the door, horn still went off until I unlocked with the remote.

Doesn't make sense to me to have the alarm/horn go off when I unlock & open the door after the truck was unlocked using the key.

I can see if I locked it with the remote but I'm using the button on the door to lock it.

so if you lose your remote or the battery for it goes dead you just drive around with the horn blasting ? lol

4. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Yea I don't get it. i tested every possible scenario. And every time I unlocked the door with the key the alarm would go off

5. BlackSmoke*

BlackSmoke* Member 1 Year

actually it should go off once you start the truck with the key.

It is kinda stupid for the alarm to go off but that's just the way it is setup.

6. IanF

IanF Rockstar 100 Posts

This is a security feature on the truck. The door lock does not recognize the coded keys, so the alarm will go unless you put the coded key in the ignition within a fixed time amount which I think is ten seconds. I think it is in the owner's manual some where but do not have one handy at the moment.

7. 62930-03

62930-03 Rockstar

I didnt really pay attention as to how long it took before they alarm/horn began sounding off I can work with it giving me 10 seconds.
    I usually just bring the key (no remote) with me into the woods while bow hunting and didnt want to have the alarm blasting when I went to leave after hunting.

8. redvett

redvett Member

Only other alternative is to manually push the lock lever on the door and close it but then your security system will not be set.