1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2012 Silverado - Where can I get 12VDC in "ON" position not "RUN"

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by clhaggett, Apr 20, 2012.

1. clhaggett

clhaggett New Member

Is there anywhere I can get 12VDC in this truck. I need to power XM radio unit and 3 two way radios and I would like to have power when the key is on, but not in the run position.
    Thanks
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Go to the internal fuse panel (it might be at the driver's end of the dash, check the manual), with a meter check for 12volts with key off. When you find a fuse that does not have any power, turn on the key and recheck for 12volts.

Note, check all of the fuses and mark down the ones that are at zero volts, then turn on the key and recheck the ones you noted. Reason: the retain power feature may require that you wait even though the door is open.

To use the fuse, you can buy an adapter that plugs into the fuse slot and has a terminal for your wire connection, it also permits the fuse to be plugged back in.
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  3. clhaggett

clhaggett New Member

I went through both the internal and external and found none that changed to 12VDC when turning the key to on. I will double check, but I know Dodge uses a 5VDC change on their ignition line to the radio.