2012 Silverado Wind Noise Nightmare.

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by JRD761, Feb 25, 2013.

1. JRD761

JRD761 New Member

I have a 2012 Silverado Extended Cab that I purchased brand new in October.
    Ever since I bought the truck I've had a wind noise issue coming from the top of the driver's door.

It use to be a random problem (would only happen when I was driving into the wind). But, I did notice the top of the driver's door did sit lower than the rear driver's side door.. so I thought this may have had something to do with it.

Visit # 1 - Since the noise was random, I just mentioned it to the dealer during the first oil change. They said they'd take a look at it and they put me in a rental car for the night. I picked up the truck the next morning and the dealer said they made an "adjustment" and to try it out and see if it was better.

The "adjustment" only made the noise worse - it's now happening all the time while I'm at 60 mph on the freeway. Plus, the gap between the two doors still existed. And now the noise is even worse when I'm on the freeway going around a curve - It sounds like the door is open!

Visit # 2 - I took the truck back the next week on my days off and told them it made the noise worse. They gave me a rental car for the night. They called me the next morning and said I can pick up the truck - they contacted GM and they said to replace the seal around the door and the special order part would take a couple days to get. I asked if this would fix the gap in between the two doors and the service adviser said it would.

Visit # 3 & 4 -
    The special order seal was installed. I waited for the truck while they did this... They gave me the truck back, I drove it around and immediately took it back to the dealer - the noise was still just as bad as before, and the gap between the two doors was still there. They put me in a rental car and sent the truck to a body shop for "adjustment".

Visit # 5 -
    I came back the next day to pick up the truck and noticed a scrape in the paint on the driver's door pillar that wasn't there. The dealer took the truck back to the body shop and had that part of the door repainted. I was sent home in another rental car for the night.

Now the wind noise is still present and it's just as bad as it was after the first visit. However, I moved 100+ miles away last weekend from the other dealer.. and with a new work schedule it's not possible to take the truck back to that dealer.

I just dropped the truck off at a new dealer for visit # 6 for this issue. And man, I miss the old dealer! This dealer was very rude about the whole situation.. and when I asked for a rental car (because they were keeping my car overnight because I get off work at 4pm), they said that they couldn't because this wasn't a drivability concern. Really?? Why did the other dealer have no problem giving me a rental car??

Sorry, but I just needed to rant. I'm very upset that I spent all this money for a brand new truck and I'm having a problem like this, and then have to deal with a new dealer that doesn't seem to really want to help. It's embarrassing to have my friends get in my brand new truck and then hear this noise and think a door is open or a window is down. I don't think it's right.. shows poor quality in my opinion. This is just all a nightmare..

Any suggestions on what to do?
  2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member

Dang, sorry to hear about your problems
  3. E_HILLMAN

E_HILLMAN New Member

4. JRD761,

I apologize for the inconvenience this has has caused you. If you would like this looked into, please send us PM with your VIN#, name + contact information, situation, dealership, and current mileage. I hope this can be resolved quickly for you. Regards.

Matt,

GM Customer Service (Assisting Evan)
  5. JRD761

JRD761 New Member

Got the truck back today. They said they took the truck to a body shop and they made a couple adjustments. And, the service adviser said that "these trucks have a lot of wind noise".. and that I need to make sure my doors are shut completely.

But what is really crappy is that once I got home I found they wrote on my service ticket "No air leaks found. No water leaks found. No problems found."... Uh, if there wasn't a problem, why was it sent to the body shop?
    I got on the freeway, the noise is still there. The same was before I took it to them...
  6. JRD761

JRD761 New Member

Well, I've been driving the truck around for the last couple weeks with the same problem. I kind of figured that it'd never get fixed.

Last night we had a huge rain storm that I got caught in the middle of. When I was on the freeway at approximately 65 MPH and I'd go around a curve/bend in the freeway, water would leak in through the same area I was hearing the wind noise at. And it was a pretty decent ammout..

I took the truck to the dealer today and saw the Tech spraying water on the truck in the same area the noise is coming from. They couldn't get it to leak, and I told him about how it only did it in the curves.. He said that it would be hard to replicate. He then said that he wanted to send the truck back to the body shop because he saw an adjustment that could be made (and he said they were suppose to do this last time, but they "didn't do anything"). The body shop is closed tomorrow, so I'm taking the truck back Monday and hopefully this will end this nightmare..
  7. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 New Member

Please let us know if this fixes your problem. Wishing the best!
  8. Skippy

Skippy New Member

Yeah, I'd be following up with the GM Service Rep who posted above. I'm sure they'll take care of you! Chevy's a great company, in spite of a few people behind "how may I help you today" badges. :)

-Skippy
  9. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

If it only happened on the corners I would assume that it was because of wind pushing the water thru the spot. Why couldn't the tech spray it with water and then use a nozzle on an air hose to simulate the wind pushing the water?
  10. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

Can you get a passenger record the sound on a smartphone? I'd like to hear the sound, pitch, etc.
  11. JRD761

JRD761 New Member

I don't think it's the wind.. I think it's the body flexing that creates the gap.. I'm not 100% sure though. I'll bring this idea up to them
  12. Skippy

Skippy New Member

Probably even more to it than that. The lateral sheer forces of cornering would cause the entire vehicle chassis to flex in ways that you can't replicate with water and air pressure alone. As an illustration, think of what happens when you slightly twist an un-taped cardboard box. Even a small amount of sheer force can cause the box lids to not line up properly. On a vehicle chassis, if the chassis has any flex as a result of wind and gravitational forces that aren't directly below the cab (as would happen when cornering) the door seals may not be lining up properly.

-Skippy
  13. JRD761

JRD761 New Member

Is this something that they'll be able to fix? Or is it just a flaw with the truck and they'll never be right?
  14. Skippy

Skippy New Member

I would think replacing the seals and adjusting the doors would fix the issue, but I'm not a Chevy Mechanical Engineer. It's probably what they're trying to figure out. If they can't repair it, I'd call Chevy Corporate and explain the situation and ask for assistance. You DID buy it new, and you can show your vehicle is not behaving as others... which makes it a factory defect. Either way, it's a horrible problem to have, and I don't envy you.

Good luck!

-Skippy
  15. No Tyme

No Tyme New Member

2012 with Road Noise too!

I also have a 2012 Silverado Ext Cab and now I am also experiencing noise from the back o the cab. It sounds like it is coming from the rear corner of the cab or floor area. I had my truck to the dealer first time for wind noise and the right away service adviser pointed to the bug deflector on the front. I was told they would have to remove it and try a GM bug deflector to try and correct the problem, so I did several hours of reserach on the web and seen many post pointing to the plastic trim pieces on each side of the windshield. I did the suggested correction myself and now I hear the "road noise" coming from the rear of the cab, just like there is an open window.
    Not happy with my response from the dealer on the wind noise I did fix the wind noise myself, but this cab noise, mostly from 2010 and 11's is crap. Too much work for me and try to repair it myself. A 42K truck and I have to make repairs myself for either design flaws or poor workmanship.
    I see post stating that the different cab insulator, one with rubber backing is correcting the problem.
    I traded in my 05 Avalanche which was not using a drop of oil, for a noisy truck that many state in posting tends to use a quart of oil between oil changes. WTF?
    I left GM back in 95 because of my Z71 being a piece of crap... 11 mpg, seat & door handle and console parts breaking all in the first 2 years. Bought a 97 F150... best truck that I owned. Traded for a 04 F150 and got a piece of crap. Engine troubles etc... Went to the 05 Avalanche and wish I still had that truck.
    My truck is scheduled to go back in this week but I am not sure if I want to let this dealer have my truck since they could answer any of my questions but said they would do some research and get back to me...
    I can find out more on the internet than these guys know!

- - - Updated - - -

To expand on the post above, the wind noise up front was covering up or at least more noticeable that the noise in back. Now NO wind noise up front and rear road noise is more pronounced. Even my teenage daughter said it's coming from the back now. Her ears are better than mine anymore...
  16. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 New Member

Man that has to suck, I can relate, my last F150( 96 model) had gaps in the doors you could see day light thru, wound up having to use a 2x4 and a buddy to adjust the hinge mount as simple bolt/latch adjustment would not fix the wind leaks. I would up doing mine because the dealer could get close on the adjustment, but didnt actually fix the problem.I really cant complain about my 2011 z71, actually people are impressed at how smooth and quiet it is, sometimes a little door ease or baby powder helps the seals flex and move as the frame allows the body to shift and move, and you may have to make some adjustments on your own, dont sound like your dealers service writers are very customer caring. A simple leaf blower and a water hose with a tire on the curb should replicate cornering fairly simple I would think.