2012 Silverado Wind Noise Nightmare.

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by JRD761, Feb 25, 2013.

1. JRD761

JRD761 Rockstar 100 Posts

I don't think it's the wind.. I think it's the body flexing that creates the gap.. I'm not 100% sure though. I'll bring this idea up to them

2. Skippy

Skippy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Probably even more to it than that. The lateral sheer forces of cornering would cause the entire vehicle chassis to flex in ways that you can't replicate with water and air pressure alone. As an illustration, think of what happens when you slightly twist an un-taped cardboard box. Even a small amount of sheer force can cause the box lids to not line up properly. On a vehicle chassis, if the chassis has any flex as a result of wind and gravitational forces that aren't directly below the cab (as would happen when cornering) the door seals may not be lining up properly.

-Skippy

3. JRD761

JRD761 Rockstar 100 Posts

Is this something that they'll be able to fix? Or is it just a flaw with the truck and they'll never be right?

4. Skippy

Skippy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I would think replacing the seals and adjusting the doors would fix the issue, but I'm not a Chevy Mechanical Engineer. It's probably what they're trying to figure out. If they can't repair it, I'd call Chevy Corporate and explain the situation and ask for assistance. You DID buy it new, and you can show your vehicle is not behaving as others... which makes it a factory defect. Either way, it's a horrible problem to have, and I don't envy you.

Good luck!

-Skippy

5. No Tyme

No Tyme New Member

2012 with Road Noise too!

I also have a 2012 Silverado Ext Cab and now I am also experiencing noise from the back o the cab. It sounds like it is coming from the rear corner of the cab or floor area. I had my truck to the dealer first time for wind noise and the right away service adviser pointed to the bug deflector on the front. I was told they would have to remove it and try a GM bug deflector to try and correct the problem, so I did several hours of reserach on the web and seen many post pointing to the plastic trim pieces on each side of the windshield. I did the suggested correction myself and now I hear the "road noise" coming from the rear of the cab, just like there is an open window.
    Not happy with my response from the dealer on the wind noise I did fix the wind noise myself, but this cab noise, mostly from 2010 and 11's is crap. Too much work for me and try to repair it myself. A 42K truck and I have to make repairs myself for either design flaws or poor workmanship.
    I see post stating that the different cab insulator, one with rubber backing is correcting the problem.
    I traded in my 05 Avalanche which was not using a drop of oil, for a noisy truck that many state in posting tends to use a quart of oil between oil changes. WTF?
    I left GM back in 95 because of my Z71 being a piece of crap... 11 mpg, seat & door handle and console parts breaking all in the first 2 years. Bought a 97 F150... best truck that I owned. Traded for a 04 F150 and got a piece of crap. Engine troubles etc... Went to the 05 Avalanche and wish I still had that truck.
    My truck is scheduled to go back in this week but I am not sure if I want to let this dealer have my truck since they could answer any of my questions but said they would do some research and get back to me...
    I can find out more on the internet than these guys know!

- - - Updated - - -

To expand on the post above, the wind noise up front was covering up or at least more noticeable that the noise in back. Now NO wind noise up front and rear road noise is more pronounced. Even my teenage daughter said it's coming from the back now. Her ears are better than mine anymore...

6. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Man that has to suck, I can relate, my last F150( 96 model) had gaps in the doors you could see day light thru, wound up having to use a 2x4 and a buddy to adjust the hinge mount as simple bolt/latch adjustment would not fix the wind leaks. I would up doing mine because the dealer could get close on the adjustment, but didnt actually fix the problem.I really cant complain about my 2011 z71, actually people are impressed at how smooth and quiet it is, sometimes a little door ease or baby powder helps the seals flex and move as the frame allows the body to shift and move, and you may have to make some adjustments on your own, dont sound like your dealers service writers are very customer caring. A simple leaf blower and a water hose with a tire on the curb should replicate cornering fairly simple I would think.