1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shooting 2013-2014 Hunting Season thread

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoors' started by ChevyFan, Oct 28, 2013.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Who's going hunting this year ... or already gone?

We want to hear stories. We want to see photos.
  2. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Waiting for shotgun season to start.... opens Nov 16th here for me in NY... Got 2 doe permits and can shoot one with horns..so 3 total. Im due for a couple this year since last year I got skunked for the first time in several years.. Hopefully a big wall hanger is in my near future:gasp:
  3. jsmith4816

jsmith4816 New Member 100 Posts

Im a waterfowl-er, but havent been out yet this year because of the move. Hope to get out during late season goose though
  4. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Our gun season opened today (2 previous weeks were bow and black powder). It is 4 weeks long, planning a "walk in the woods" on Wednesday.
  5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Last Wednesday? Or this next Wednesday?
  6. BRB46

BRB46 Member 100 Posts

Shotgun season starts here December 2nd for two weeks then the remainder of the year is black powder season. I will be participating in both. Hoping for a little snow for the hunt.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  7. the phantom

Snow?? For what tracking blood?...just need to make the first shot count..my hunting teacher when i was a kid said one shot dead deer, two shots might be deer,three shots no deer.lol
  8. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I went opening weekend of dove season on Sept. 1 but didn't get any birds.

I went again two weekends ago at the very end of dove season and got about 10 birds.
  9. BRB46

BRB46 Member 100 Posts

Not for tracking blood, but to be able to walk in without being heard for miles. Also helps to see where they have been. I only have one shot as I use an inline TC .50cal. It hasn't let me down yet.
  10. the phantom

yeah see Im the opposite on the snow thing.:no: Thats why I started a thread for the perfect place to live because I Hate snow..Every time it snows here for hunting its loud because usually the snow is packy and it makes it loud as I walk over it. I prefer it to rain the night before so all the leaves are wet.. Thats my perfect scenario for me that way I can sneek up on deer which I have done several times.. a few years ago I watched a spike buck walk in near me very cautiously(he knew a few of us were in the woods) so since I decided he was too small I wanted to see how close I could get to him.. he layed down but not directly toward me but he was on a hill and I was below him. Well using a tree to kind of block his view to me I got about 25 yards away from about 50 when he originally came in. All of a sudden I saw his head jerk and there came dinner trotting up to him.. I decent 7 point that also didnt see me and I let him have it. One shot one kill. But it was a little behind where the perfect shot was I will admit. Then watched the spike try and figure out where the shot came from and was all confused.. he ran 10 yards from me down the hill and I actually took pics with my cell phone as he ran and of him before the 7pt came in.. that opening morning it was wet out but not raining.. this is my perfect hunting weather..heres the deer (little blurry but better than nothing)anyway but I cant find the pics I took of the spike . 7 point2009.jpg