2013 4.8 vs. 5.3 ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by RATRODKING, Oct 9, 2012.

1. RATRODKING

RATRODKING Rockstar 100 Posts

guys,
    i have started to look at a new silverado..... in the event i can swing the payments, i see in the 4.8L v8's have 302hp with 305lbs torque @ 4600rpm, and the 5.3L has 315hp with 335lbs torque @ 4000rpm...
    is there a noticable difference with the bigger engine ?
    and likes, dislikes about either of the engines ? pro's and con's ?
    thanks for the help guys.
    i looking to get either the extended cab short box or the 4 door short box, since the wheelbase on them both are the same, just a shorter bed in the 4 door model.
    just wouldnt want to be under powered... the only thing i would pull is a small 14ft aluminum jon boat, so not really using the truck to tow anything..... just wanted your thoughts on what motor is best.

thanks

2. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

One of our company trucks has the 4.8 it is an extended cab 4x4. When I get out of that and get into my 5.3 I am glad I went with the bigger motor. The 4.8 just seems to be lacking in power. Now to be fair my truck has some mods done to it so I am sure that makes a difference but if all things were the same I would say get the 5.3.

3. grampy

grampy Member 100 Posts

Would lean towards the 5.3 myself, have one in the family - an 09 crew - good truck. Would'nt be afraid of the 4.8 either IF it had something like 3.73 gears. Once had a GMC with the 4.3, manual and 3.73 gears, it did quite well for a little V-6, got great mileage too. Have a brand 'X' right now that gets most of my highway driving, it's a 4.6, manual with 3.55"s, it would be a much better truck with some lower gears. I'm also limited on tire size, running 245/75/16, would like to go with 265's but that would just make a real dog out of it. ( yeah, I know, it's already a dog, wear a paper sack over my head when i;m driving it ). Ken

4. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

...both are good engines, but if price matters, the 5.3 costs more and you would have to weigh the good and bad based on Gas Mileage and the extra cost of purchasing a 5.3.
    ----just my thoughts ................no problems pulling 3000 lbs. with our 4.8 Crew
    Brian from Canada

5. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Both engines are solid and produce plenty of power and have plentiful mods available, but the 5.3 has slightly more power. Both have the same transmission, but the gearing also matters. Personally I'd take the 5.3 because its the engine that replaced GM's 5.7 which I have in my truck.

6. RATRODKING

RATRODKING Rockstar 100 Posts

thanks for the input guys... if i go with a new truck i will go with the 5.3... i too always like bigger. lol.
    still trying to get my 1990 to run right.... good to hear the 5.3 is based on the 5.7
    thanks again.

7. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Its not based on it. Its the 5.7l's replacement because it has a smaller displacement with equal power.

8. nickgiacalone

nickgiacalone Rockstar 100 Posts

I know this is an old post, but IMO bigger is better! LOL. If I would've known the 6.0 was being replaced with a 6.2 when I bought mine I would have waited a little bit just for the 6.2

9. 2011laserblue

2011laserblue Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 100 Posts

6.2 :)

Haha no but I think that I would definitely go with the 5.3.

10. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 3 Years 1000 Posts

I have to agree with everyone here, I have a 5.3L and some 2 of my friends have the 4.8L's. The engines are good, but the cost savings you are going to realize from the 4.8L are so small over the 5.3L and you loose so much towing/ weight capacity on the 4.8L that I would get the 5.3L, and tune it with an intune and then just drive like my grandma...... well maybe not, but you get the idea :) (Don't floor the pedal).