2013 4.8 vs. 5.3 ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by RATRODKING, Oct 9, 2012.

1. RATRODKING

RATRODKING New Member

guys,
    i have started to look at a new silverado..... in the event i can swing the payments, i see in the 4.8L v8's have 302hp with 305lbs torque @ 4600rpm, and the 5.3L has 315hp with 335lbs torque @ 4000rpm...
    is there a noticable difference with the bigger engine ?
    and likes, dislikes about either of the engines ? pro's and con's ?
    thanks for the help guys.
    i looking to get either the extended cab short box or the 4 door short box, since the wheelbase on them both are the same, just a shorter bed in the 4 door model.
    just wouldnt want to be under powered... the only thing i would pull is a small 14ft aluminum jon boat, so not really using the truck to tow anything..... just wanted your thoughts on what motor is best.

thanks
  2. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member

One of our company trucks has the 4.8 it is an extended cab 4x4. When I get out of that and get into my 5.3 I am glad I went with the bigger motor. The 4.8 just seems to be lacking in power. Now to be fair my truck has some mods done to it so I am sure that makes a difference but if all things were the same I would say get the 5.3.
  3. grampy

grampy New Member

Would lean towards the 5.3 myself, have one in the family - an 09 crew - good truck. Would'nt be afraid of the 4.8 either IF it had something like 3.73 gears. Once had a GMC with the 4.3, manual and 3.73 gears, it did quite well for a little V-6, got great mileage too. Have a brand 'X' right now that gets most of my highway driving, it's a 4.6, manual with 3.55"s, it would be a much better truck with some lower gears. I'm also limited on tire size, running 245/75/16, would like to go with 265's but that would just make a real dog out of it. ( yeah, I know, it's already a dog, wear a paper sack over my head when i;m driving it ). Ken
  4. silverhobey

silverhobey New Member

...both are good engines, but if price matters, the 5.3 costs more and you would have to weigh the good and bad based on Gas Mileage and the extra cost of purchasing a 5.3.
    ----just my thoughts ................no problems pulling 3000 lbs. with our 4.8 Crew
    Brian from Canada
  5. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator

Both engines are solid and produce plenty of power and have plentiful mods available, but the 5.3 has slightly more power. Both have the same transmission, but the gearing also matters. Personally I'd take the 5.3 because its the engine that replaced GM's 5.7 which I have in my truck.
  6. RATRODKING

RATRODKING New Member

thanks for the input guys... if i go with a new truck i will go with the 5.3... i too always like bigger. lol.
    still trying to get my 1990 to run right.... good to hear the 5.3 is based on the 5.7
    thanks again.
  7. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator

Its not based on it. Its the 5.7l's replacement because it has a smaller displacement with equal power.
  8. nickgiacalone

nickgiacalone New Member

I know this is an old post, but IMO bigger is better! LOL. If I would've known the 6.0 was being replaced with a 6.2 when I bought mine I would have waited a little bit just for the 6.2
  9. 2011laserblue

2011laserblue New Member

6.2 :)

Haha no but I think that I would definitely go with the 5.3.
  10. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia New Member

I have to agree with everyone here, I have a 5.3L and some 2 of my friends have the 4.8L's. The engines are good, but the cost savings you are going to realize from the 4.8L are so small over the 5.3L and you loose so much towing/ weight capacity on the 4.8L that I would get the 5.3L, and tune it with an intune and then just drive like my grandma...... well maybe not, but you get the idea :) (Don't floor the pedal).
  11. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

I would always go with the bigger motor, First better power, 2nd better resale, 3rd If you do need to tow something larger then you will be happy. 4th Those that get the smaller motor always end up trying to get more power and spending more money for it then they were saving in MPG's..Not worth it..
  12. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member

6.0 for the world, the 5.3 doesn't get but maybe 5mpg better and it's weak. You wouldn't be dissappointed, until you pay for the gas guzzler tax and then you might be surprised.
  13. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 New Member

all three of my trucks have had the 5.3. i love that engine!

having said that, my brother had a extended cab 4.8 4x4 and hated it. he likes his new 5.3 crew 4x4 much better.

Alex
  14. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator

Eh, I have an '01 4.8L that only makes 270HP, if that, considering its age. If the new 4.8L puts out 302HP, get it. I know I would. It puts out more HP/torque than the old 4.8s and cost less (both at purchase and long-term fuel cost) than the 5.3L. You'll have to ask yourself if the over-all additional cost of a 5.3L is really worth it for only gaining 13HP. To me, it's not.

Bigger ain't better with today's gas prices! :glasses:
  15. stchman

stchman New Member

Problem with going with a 4.8L is that they are usually in the lower line truck. If you want more bells and whistles the 5.3L comes along with them. Also it looks like the 4.8L engine does NOT get the 6 speed automatic.

With that being said, the 4.8L and the 5.3L get the same fuel economy, so get the 5.3L if you can afford it.
  16. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator

That's not always the case, stchman. My 2001 LS has every option you could get in an 2001 model. Only things it's missing are leather seats and 4WD.
  17. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia New Member

Another way to look at it (and I am going to use a different vehicle as an example). My parents had a 1998 camry. They got it with the 4 cylinder engine because they wanted the MPG boost for daily commutes to work.e

It was a great car.

The minute you put 4 adults in it and load the trunk with luggage for a trip and try to take the 7% grades going through the mountains, you begin to wonder if that 4 cylinder (under load) is going to 1. make it up 4 miles of 7% grade with 4 adults and all their luggage for a 2 week trip, and if it doesn't make it, are you going to start rolling backwards down 3000ft of freeway, or over heat the breaks trying to hold position were you are....

They replaced it with the 6 cylinder camry (newer model) and take trips all the time and you don't feel like the car is going to fall apart under load. The MPG's is about the same (being a newer model) on the V6, but you have piece of mind also.

I am not going to say the 4.8L vortec is a bad engine, because its not. But may not realize how much difference the 5.3L will make over the long term for (over 10-13 years of ownership) if you keep your vehicles that long will make.

if its a car and it has anything less than a performance v6 then I don't look at it and at that point, a small v8 is the better choice.

In a truck, I would really avoid the smallest v8, and you may not need the 6.0 or 6.2L.

I don't know what all you plan on using the truck for over the term of ownership, and that is something you have to take a serious look at before deciding on one engine or the other.

Also, other's said resale value.......

The percentage of people that buy 4.8L's buy them intending on keeping them long term, no one wants one used (or the market is really small). 5.3L have the largest market, followed by the 6.xL gas and duramaxes because those are smaller markets again and people that buy 6.xL or dmaxes usually buy them and keep them long term. Long term meaning 10+ years.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  18. RATRODKING

RATRODKING New Member

wow, thanks for all the great input guys..... for now im still driving my 1990 silverado 4x4, sicne it is still running good.
    when i do go for a new one, im leaning toward the 5.3.
    thanks again....
  19. stchman

stchman New Member

I remember when pickup truck engines with 250HP were considered crazy power. Now 315HP is "weak". I find that the 5.3L has more than enough power to move the Silverado in the direction you need it to go.

FYI, the 6.0L is only offered on the HD models now. If you want a larger engine in a 1500, the 6.2L is the engine of choice.

- - - Updated - - -

The 2001 is an NBS, the NNBS is a different story.
  20. UpsetProps

UpsetProps New Member

This is my second 4.8L LS trim....first a 2008, now a 2012.

I wish I had gone with the 5.3 with LT trim and the 6-speed instead of the 4-speed it has.

Adding a DiabloSport Trinity gave me the power I was looking for, but still think I should have gone with the 5.3 in the first place....next time I guess.

....although, with these recent 5.3L AFM problem threads....maybe I'm better off?
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013