1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2013 Bi-Fuel GM Trucks Now Available For Fleets

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Enkeiavalanche, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Would you buy one?

According to GM, production of the 2013 Chevrolet Silverado HD and GMC Sierra 2500 HD bi-fuel pickup trucks is underway and are available for order by fleet and retail customers through Chevrolet and GMC dealers. The 2013 bi-fuel pickups, Silverado HD and Sierra 2500 HD Vortec 6.0L V8, are designed to run on both gasoline or compressed natural gas (CNG). The vehicles can switch seamlessly between the two fuels without affecting performance, and are available in standard and long-box models, as well as two-or-four wheel drive in the extended cab models.

According to Ed Peper, GM U.S. vice president of Fleet and commercial Sales, the CNG and gasoline tanks have a combined range of 650 miles, the longest standard bi-fuel range of any original equipment automaker.The bi-fuel pickups are ordered from the factory, sent to the Tier One supplier IMPCO for installation of the CNG bi-fuel delivery and storage system and then delivered by GM transportation to the dealer or to an upfitter for customer-ordered modifications.

The bi-fuel option is priced at $11,000 above the suggested retail price of the base vehicle. The entire gaseous fuel system meets GM’s strict quality, durability and safety testing. The trucks will be covered by GM’s three-year, 36,000-mile new vehicle limited warranty and five-year, 100,000-mile limited powertrain warranty and vehicle emissions warranty. The vehicle meets all Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and California Air Resources Board (CARB) emission certification requirements.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2014
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

At $11,000 you gotta drive a lot of miles to make the added expense pay back.
    I like the CNG idea but not at that price.
  3. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Agreed, I love the idea and hope auto manufacturers continue to develop this technology along with renewable fuel but as long as its price is not competitive with gas models it will not be favored by the consumer.
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I can see this program being cancelled due to low sales volume, which the manufacturer will call "little or no public interest" but in reality is due to the high price.
    While if they simply lowered their profit margin and kept the truck price just slightly higher than a similarly equipped non-CNG model they could increase interest and still develop profit.
    While CNG kits arent cheap they arent $11,000 either, GM is allowing the conversion company to mark the price right out of the market, at a point in the near future they'll need to rethink this issue to bring the truck line in under new Govt. guidelines for mpg standards.
    But at this time GM like other manufacturers is spending more money fighting (read as lobbying Congress) to stop new regulations than what their spending on researching and implementing those measurements. They wont win the fight so IMO their wasting money on lobbying, congress has already made their decision and taken bribes from the other side.
  5. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Yep, times are changing and the gov't standards are not going anywhere like you said. I think since the research and design are not in full swing, it will hurt the consumer. The manufacturers make more profit on the bigger vehicles compared to cars and they do not want to give up that profit. Something got to give.
  6. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I got to see one of these yesterday. I'll post some pics later.
  7. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

currently Bob Lutz's Via motors is offering a Yukon XL for $79000 according to their website. Looking around I am finding new yukon xl priced between $67000 and $70000. If I had the money and the option I would much rather spend the extra money on a via suburban or yukon xl than go to CNG. They are claiming 100mpg with 400hp in a yukon xl.
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  8. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

<COUGH> ... how much? I know that's what they cost, but wow that's sticker shock. Does that come with a guarantee for a Federal Tax Credit still?
  9. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Their site said that it qualifies for a $7,500 federal credit and in some cases state credits.