2013 GMC 2500HD and a weight distribution unit???

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by WhiteTiger66, May 17, 2013.

Newest Photos

1. WhiteTiger66

WhiteTiger66 New Member

So, i have a weight distribution hookup leftover from my half ton truck. I now have the 2500hd. I have asked several people if I should use the WDU or not. I get mixed answers. Today a camper dealer told me I should as it can't hurt.
    Any thoughts on this? What is everyone doing as far as WD and 3/4 trucks?
    I have a 29ft TT that weighs 6300 dry and I am guessing about 8000 give or take a couple hundred loaded. I believe the tongue weight is about 900 dry that is.
  2. csltrains96

csltrains96 New Member 100 Posts

I have a 27ft TT and I pull it with my '89 K2500. I always use the weight distributing hitch. But then my factory tow package Class IV hitch has a maximum hitch weight of about 800 pounds when not using weight distribution. With weight distribution the hitch capacity goes up to about 1000 pounds, maybe 1100.

Without WD, my truck is visibly angled downward in the rear, making my headlights point way too far upward. With the WD, I can keep the truck level and keep my headlights on the road. It also helps to reduce trailer sway, which can be further reduced by adding sway control bars to the WD hitch.

I would use it if I were you. I'd hate for you to get rid of it just to find out later that you really could use it. Plus, most good quality WD hitches are pretty expensive these days.
  3. WhiteTiger66

WhiteTiger66 New Member

Thanks Trains,
    my half ton would drop about 5 inches without it but with it about an inch. I havent hooked it up yet and I am sure I will have to adjust it but the more people I talk to the more say use it. Its big and bulky so just having a little receiver would have been nice.
    thanks again, happy trailering :great:
  4. csltrains96

csltrains96 New Member 100 Posts

Yah, I know they're big and bulky. But when they're needed, they're a lifesaver. I keep mine in the bed tool box just to keep it out of the way, but yet still handy.

- - - Updated - - -

Whether or not you need it all depends on the weight of whatever you are towing. I have the WD, but I also have one of those triple ball size hitches that has a different size ball on each side of the tube.
  5. WhiteTiger66

WhiteTiger66 New Member

Yeah, I hear you. I'll have to adjust it I am sure. thanks again.
  6. h0serdude

h0serdude New Member

I tow a 22' trailer that weighs about 5000lbs loaded and use a WD hitch. The tongue weight is about 450 and the rear of my truck doesn't drop at all with or w/o the WD hitch. That being said, I notice less sway by using it so I will always use one given the choice.