GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

2013 GMTC Calendar ~ Please Read!

Discussion in 'Announcements & Feedback' started by ChevyFan, Sep 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

We're starting to design a 2013 GMTC Calendar and we need to talk about a few things.

1. Should we have ROTM winners featured or allow any member to submit a photo?
    2. What size should we make it? If we go to a "digital size", the cost will come down a lot as we can get them printed in smaller batches.
    3. Please know that I will NOT be shipping these, a professional printing & shipping company will handle it all.
    4. 12 months or 16 month calendar?
    5. Would you buy one? We're thinking they're going to cost something like $14.99 for members.
  2. pmf608

pmf608 New Member

I'd be interested in that. My old truck was in the 2011 Calendar one of the other truck forums did, but the way they ran their setup was crap and I paid for my copy but never got it. I haven't gone back there since, other than to bring that up during their 2012 calendar prep.

Anyway, I know Steve always seems to get things done the right way, and this seems to be on the right track. I'd feature the ROTM vehicles for each month and then maybe allow people to submit photos to have a couple of smaller ones on each month.

I'd go 12 months because I find the extra 4 months get less focus.
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

1. I feel that any member should be able to submit a photo.
    2. I feel that the standard hanging wall calendar size that has 12"x12" pages (including both image and calendar) is appropriate; I could see these hanging in shops...
    3. We know you're a professional, yourself, but we appreciate the use of a professional printing & shipping company.
    4. I feel that the standard 12 month calendar is appropriate.
    5. I would buy one at $14.99 if I liked the content within it (I'd need to see a preview, online) and if that price included the cost of shipping.

I feel this idea has a lot of merit.
  4. pmf608

pmf608 New Member

I also like that this thread currently has 1 member and 9 guests viewing it. It seems like having a calendar could potentially bring some new members to the site.
  5. the phantom

the phantom New Member

1. Not to sound selfish but I would buy a calender, if my truck was in it.:sign0020:
    2. Possibly a larger picture of the ROTM truck and active member submitted smaller photos surrounding it.
    3. How would we determine which ROTM trucks to use? (each month in 2012 winners or a member vote for each month including previous years as long as they are still active members?)
    4. I also feel a 12 month standard calender is appropriate.
    5. I feel $14.99 if shipping is included is a fair price for the calender
    6. As Surreal noted, an online preview before purchase would also be nice.
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  6. ChevyFan

Good input guys, keep it coming. I'm making changes to the site, to the back-end and to programs that will support the site.

Good input. I'm actually semi-talented in a bunch of areas, but handling day-to-day processes is NOT one of them. I still owe at least one (and maybe two) people their GMTC stickers and I'm remiss in remembering to bring them along with me when I go to to work and pass by the post office!

That does increase the price, but I'm not thinking we'll sell more than 500 so the goal is to keep the price down so more people will buy them.
  7. Drake_korthos

Drake_korthos New Member

I love the ideas being thrown around so far, price seems fair, and I'd agree with Surreal about calendar size. My idea would be to use the ROTM trucks for the main picture and the runners up as smaller insets. The only issue with using the ROTM trucks would be the deadline needed for the next year's calendar. If it's needed earlier the previous year, I'd say go with the open submission idea to get the photo's in (maybe have a similar ROTM voting system for members to decide on the featured trucks?). Maybe also include a photo of the owner? That's all my two cents!
  8. VisaliaIPA

VisaliaIPA New Member

Price seems fair to me and I would opt for a 12-month calendar. ANd I agree that having your own truck in it would be cool but also understand that having alot of pics might be counter-productive. But, I do like the idea and would love to see mine in it.....:):lol:
  9. dpeter

dpeter New Member

I like the ROTM and would like the pics of the competition included. ROTM would of course be most prominent. Maybe theme based, OBS, NBS, NNBS for different trucks ... Chevy,GMC, truck and SUV. Maybe include some trivia.
  10. the phantom

the phantom New Member

Kind of like this idea, Maybe different statistics of the featured vehicles
  11. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member

I like the idea. My suggestion is to use the ROTM winner's as the featured truck. I would use the winners from the previous years in the month in which they won. It was already put to a vote for each month once I don't see a reason to do it again. I also like the idea of using the other trucks from the month as smaller pics because more people would buy them if their ride was in the calender.
    I like the size Surreal suggested.
    Price sounds fair also. I would buy one.
  12. the phantom

the phantom New Member

I guess my thought on voting again was there are more than one ROTM winners for each month given how many years ROTM has been in existence. If only one truck is featured for each month which year January should be used? If we only use 2012's trucks any previous years ROTM winners will never be featured. But I also see the confusion another vote could create also. Not sure of the right answer here.

13. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia New Member

I like the idea, but not sure how the final product will look ( see below).

• Most of the pictures we upload here fall really short of the quality needed for pre press or printing in general, so you would need a way to get something like a 5mb jpg (at least for the main photo's) or the photo's will look horrible when printed
    • I like the idea of the ROTM to be the main photo and then have other members photo's frame it in, much smaller in size (maybe 5-8 smaller photo's around the ROTM photo).
    • The ROTM Photo should have a blurb on teh corresponding calendar below it listing the make, model, year and mods that it has (when that photo was taken). Not what they have now, if that is not what is in the picture.
    • The Owners names and locations should be left out of any descriptions unless there is some sort of credits page inside the front cover or rear cover of the calendar.
    • I agree with a standard calendar size and going with 12 months.
    • $14.99 is on the expensive side for the average calendar, but this is a custom printed calendar, so a slightly higher price is to be expected.
    • There should not be any "people" in the photo's unless a release form as been signed so no one gets angry and tries to sue anyone.
  14. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 New Member

^ What they all said. I'm not sure of a "right" answer either as to how one's truck gets in the calendar. I like the ROTM and the runners up idea, but like said, what year(s) would you have to chose from.

I would definately buy one
  15. ChevyFan

Yeah, no worries we'll have high quality and good looking photos when we go to print these.
  16. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 New Member

im a fan of this, id buy one for 15, even 20.

maybe have a large center photo with ROTM trucks with specs, and have smaller pics of similar trucks around it, or maybe have some small 2x2 pics in the corners of the page on the bottom in the blank areas, by that I mean were the the month ends, I.E. its the 30th, and there are a few blank spots due to the alignment of the weeks, if any of that makes any sort of sense.

Alex
  17. the phantom

the phantom New Member

I agree with using up the empty day spaces in the beginning and end of the month for pics too. No sense of having blank spots. I guess depending on how many photos are submitted may dictate how many spots are needed.
  18. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

Any chance you could get site vendors/sponsors to commit to certain days on the calender with special sales for certain days? i.e. say September 13th 2013 Adams Polishes could offer a special on detailing wax.
    I know its a long ways out for most of them but it could be good advertisement getting their names and products out to the public.
  19. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

That's a really, really cool idea, as it gets the vendors involved and may help them drive sales.
  20. the phantom

the phantom New Member

I realize some/most people may not post ideas here, but I hope there is enough interest (members and/or sponsors) to make this happen. This is a great Idea for anyone to feature their own truck. Only a little over 3 months to get it all together.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.