1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2013 Silverado 1500 factory hitch.

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by stchman, Jul 12, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

After looking through my owners manual, I cannot find ANYTHING about the factory hitch rating.

Where does one find the factory hitch ratings?

Thanks.
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Without going out to look at mine, is there an info plate on the platform?
  3. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Member 100 Posts

Hey there,

I see you have a questions about factory hitch ratings. I am happy to assist you. Please private message me any specific questions you have about factory hitch ratings.

Safe travels,

Jennifer T.
    GM Customer Care
  4. Bowtied

Bowtied Member 100 Posts

Factory hitch as in on your bumper? or do you have a factory tow pckg? at any rate i think that information may be contained on the sticker on the side of the door or on the inside of the body where the door opens, it should state tire pressures, gvwr, and max tow ratings.

ETA: I found this chart for towing capacities online here: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/towing-capacity/vehicle/towing-capacity-chart6.htm

This is for 2009 year model trucks but should be similar if not the same for your same generation truck.
    tow-capacity.jpg

Also: does anyone happen to know why the avalanche has a higher capacity than the silverado 1500? Do those come with >5.3L engines? i just noticed that according to this chart both the avalanche, and the suburban can tow greater capacities than the 1500
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  5. stchman

Also from that chart a 2500HD can tow more than a 3500HD. I am not going to really trust that chart.

I have the factory towing package with what appears to be a class III or IV hitch attached to the frame. I would just like to know that the tow rating of that factory hitch is.
  6. Bowtied

Bowtied Member 100 Posts

i believe the 3500 is reflective of the dually model which weighs more, so it has to pull less to achieve its max towing capacity, i may be wrong on that but just a hunch. that may also explain the differences in towing capacities of the other vehicles i was asking about above.
  7. stchman

From the owners manual, both the 2500HD and 3500HD can two the same weight when equipped with the same engine and axle ratio.
  8. Bowtied

Bowtied Member 100 Posts

so the manual states they tow the same amount, but doesnt specify how much the amount is? :glasses:???
  9. stchman

20500lbs with a 6.0L engine and a 4.10 rear axle.

If you step up to a Duramax, your max tow rating is 22800 with a 3500HD dually.
  10. Bowtied

Bowtied Member 100 Posts

oic, but the details regarding towing capacity specific to your model were absent in your manual?