1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

2013 Silverado 1500 factory hitch.

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by stchman, Jul 12, 2013.

1. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

I know what the MAX tow rating for my truck is (9600lbs for a crew cab with 5.3L engine, 3.42 rear axle, and the K5L package). The thing is it says "when properly equipped".

I would like to know if I decide to tow 9600lbs with my truck, will the hitch included in the factory towing package suffice or do I need a better hitch/cooler?

Thanks.

2. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

been wondering about this myself a bit, planning on getting a 7x14 tandem v-nose trailer for moving back home with next spring, and Im wondering what my hitch is rated for. something to ask the next time im at the dealer maybe.

Alex

3. stchman

I checked my RPO sticker in the glove box and my 2013 has the "Heavy Duty Trailering Package".

Can I assume that the truck is "properly equipped" to tow 9600lbs like the owners manual states with no modification?

Looking on the Wikipedia I found the following values:

I have found Wikipedia to be fairly accurate, so can I assume that if your Silverado has the K5L package, it has a Class IV hitch?

- - - Updated - - -

Does your Sierra have the K5L package?

4. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

A Class III and a Class IV hitch receiver platform will look exactly the same, because they are. It is class 4 when a weight distribution hitch is used, it is a Class3 without the wd.

The K5L package on the Avalanche/Tahoe/Sub trucks provides a 3.42 rear axle, a tranny cooler and an engine oil cooler, it also provides the 2 speed t-case in the 4x4 trucks.
    The K5L does not include the hitch receiver platform (you can have the receiver and not have K5L.
    K5L also does not include the electric trailer brake controller, RPO = JL1

5. stchman

Ok, my truck has the K5L package, but does not have the trailer brake controller. If you have the K5L package, does that mean the truck has the weight distributing hitch?

That's been a point of wonderment for me, the dealer orders my truck, it has an MSRP of $43,985, but they failed to order it with the following items.

Sunroof - $895
    Trailer brake controller - $230
    Sliding rear window - $250

The sunroof can be put in aftermarket, a brake controller as well, but the sliding rear window would be a different story.

6. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

The 2" receiver platform is standard equipment on my truck, yours as well I suspect. But, the weight distribution is part of the hitch
    [​IMG]

Actually, the factory brake controller can not be added latter, I checked, I wanted the look of the factory controller. A 3rd party unit can be added later.

7. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I do have the K5L package. im gonna chat with a tech at the dealer when i go in for my next oil change. see what i need to get for the trailer i plan on getting.

Alex

8. awtposts

awtposts Member

Go to Chevy online

Hitch ratings are not much concern when trying to figure out your tow capacity really. The hitch is a mere percentage of your tow cap. Go to Chevrolet online and the specs will provide the info. I will warn you. I just traded my '07 Silverado 1500 Classic 5.3 with the HD Tow pkg for a '13 Silverado 2500HD. I am towing a 35' travel trailer weighing in @ 6200lb. My 1500 pulled my trailer fine no problem with my 7800lb Tow Cap (I had the 3.23 Axle) however; it was my braking and suspension that was cause for concern and I do have the Equalizer® Weight Distributing Hitch for my trailer.

It wasn't really bad, wasn't a sever issue or anything like that, I was just being cautious is all while traveling with my family in the truck with me when towing through the NC mountains. More to consider when towing than just max cap, etc etc etc.

Feel free to message me if you have any more questions and want to discuss more detail.

Tony