1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2013 silverado windshield wiper question

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by martym, Mar 2, 2013.

1. j cat

j cat Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

with the wiper blade in the park position having the blade off the windshield reduces the possibility of the blade being ripped off when/if the ice freezes the rubber blade to the glass. this is why you can lift the blades in the full up position to avoid blade damage. my 1996 the blade sets on the windshield and if a snow / ice storm hits before starting I must be sure to have the wipers OFF. with the newer vehicles I have heard of the wiper system being damaged more than the rubber blade.
  2. Pointer

Pointer New Member

Just PM'd you info with same problem
  3. Elvis63

Elvis63 New Member

I have a '13 Silverado LT. The rubber on the OEM wiper blades are garbage! If there's a slight chill in the air, the blades develop a wavy contour so they only touch the windshield every few inches all the way up the windshield. I bought a third party replacement blade that came with no less than 5 different mounting attachments, none of which fit a '13 Silverado! I went to the dealership and bought another set of OEM blades which worked for the first 2 minutes, then went all wavy again! What kind of crap is this?
  4. PierreLaDuke

PierreLaDuke New Member

2010 Sierra. Same problem. Went to parts store, tried Rainex,Trico, Bosch. None of them touched the windshield all the way. The last inch didn't make contact. Of all of them the Bosch wipers were the most effective. Anybody have the solution ? Pete
  5. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Wipers seem to be a problem for GM. My 03 Escalade had the same problem. I went and bought the expensive rainx blades also paying amost $25 each for them and they lasted about a year. Went into Autozone where I got them and sort of complained stating they only lasted a year.. Surprisingly the counterperson tells me "well feel lucky you got a year out of them. They usually only last about 9 months." I was like "WHAT!!" For that kind of price thats BS. On top of that how about on my 03 Escalade all the (rain and salt)water that hits the windshield is routed down and hits the starter making it into a rust ball and it also rotted out the tranny lines right under the starter.

I just dont understand how GM engineers can make all of probably 6 figures and cannot do simple research as they develop things. It is called R&D for a reason.:no:
  6. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

How are you going to reshape the windshield without reshaping the cab??? Yes, it is a design flaw. The eventual fix will be a contoured wiper to fit the windshield better, at a cost about 5X more than standard wipers. I think I would learn to live with it.
  7. JohnnyZJ

JohnnyZJ New Member

all my trucks have done it. I just learnt to live with it. as long as my GMC goes to 300,000km with minor issues instead of blowing motors/trannies/diffs/ i'm ok with crappy wipers.
  8. 4rfun2

4rfun2 New Member

I have a 2013 Silverado LTZ that has the same problem. It builds up ice in the wintertime and is a hazzard. GM doesn't care. I contacted them but they blew me off. They said there hasn't been any other complaints and I'll have to live with it. I am thinking of trading for a new Ram that the wipers fit snug to the windshield.
  9. j cat

j cat Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

GM now is in big trouble with the ignition switch failures over 10 years now maybe more. 13 people killed when the switch shut the car down the air bags disabled , then the collision when the vehicle was stopped in the middle of the road.

these wiper issues are well known . anyone with these vehicles should make a written compliant to NHTSA .. with many making these written bitches about how it is a hazard and GM saying no problem, I bet you all get this fixed...

for me just another reason to keep the old 2000 sil..never had any wiper problems and I can lift them off the windshield when the ice storm comes !
  10. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Hi 4rfun2,

It sounds like you have already spoken to a customer representative. If you can send me a PM with your VIN, I can research what has been previously documented and be sure that your concerns reach the correct departments within GM. I hope to hear from you soon.

Austin J.
    GM Customer Care