1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2013 silverado Z71 shock question

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by martym, Feb 4, 2013.

1. martym

martym New Member

Hello all.

Just purchased a 2013 1500 Silverado 4WD EXT CAB LT. One of the options is the Z71 off road suspension package. It says off road skid plates, high capacity air cleaner. I thought the Z71 would have Rancho shocks as the 2013 sales book describes. Supposedly I have gas shocks on the truck but not the Rancho shocks. Thought they all had the Rancho shocks with the Z71 off road suspension. Any ideas.

Thanks
    Marty
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Used to be Bilsteins I do think they are a Rancho now.. I changed mine back to Bilsteins..
  3. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

all my vehicles have bilsteins OEM SHOCKS DON'T last for me.

Bilsteins give a good solid ride last a very long time.
  4. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 New Member 100 Posts

Haven't heard about the ranchos but my 01 has bilstiens OEM.
  5. Fenian

Fenian New Member

I have a 2011 Extended Cab LT 4X4 with the Z71 offroad suspension package but NOT the Z71 appearance package...and I have gas shocks with no fancy markings. It was explained to me that the fancy shocks (Rancho?) come with the Z71 appearance package, not the offroad package.

Makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?

:neutral:
  6. martym

martym New Member

Fenian , It appears that you are right. Went back to the dealer today and looked under a lot of trucks. Everyone that said Z71 suspension package, had the same black shocks that my truck came with. Found one truck that not only said Z71 suspension package but also said Z71 appearance package. That truck had the Rancho shocks, painted mirrors, chrome tow hooks. Commons sense would make one think the Rancho shocks would be part of a suspension package. But they don't.

Marty
  7. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 New Member 100 Posts

marty, the fact that they are part of the "appearance package" should tell you something. They are not better, just better looking, which is probably why some people get them.
  8. O'Brien

O'Brien New Member

Of course ,beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Frankly I think the white and red lettered shocks look tacky. If colors were optional white and red would be at the bottom of my list. But hey ,it's a shock absorber.
  9. Verchedaddy

Verchedaddy New Member

sounds like we have the same truck.. i too was confused when the dealer told me i had rancho's but when i looked underneath they were infact black like you say..not sure which are better but mine seem to ride fine. what worries me is he may have told me they were ranchos to suggest they were the better of the two to sweeten the deal.. did you find out any more info on the black shocks?
  10. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

On my 08 Avalanche Z71 it had the Rancho's and this is what they looked like after about 95K shocks8.jpg shocks15.jpg