1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2013 Siverado 1500

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Cowpie, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Cowpie

Cowpie Member

Well, I never test drove the pickup before buying. The wife did that. Did get a general look at it before buying. Have driven and it is ok. But got my first time crawling around underneath today. Now I know why GM went bankrupt. I have to admit, I wish I had not bought another GM product. I was GM free for over a decade. I already think this pickup is a POS and we haven't even got 1000 miles on it. Oh well, stuck with it now. Drives nice. Is comfortable. But that is just about all the good I can say about it. Everything else leaves much to be desired. A city pickup for the wifey and kids, it would pass for that. For something on the farm, a total joke.
  2. CKNSLS

CKNSLS Member

OK-so please share EXACTLY what you don't like and let's go from there.
  3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Yes please tell us.....
  4. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts

last year I looked over the 2012 stock 1500 models , don't need a 2500 .

I know what your not saying . I too though what a POS. very low quality the body/interior/strut springs/plastic all over the exterior. My 2000 1500 is a more solid vehicle than these 2007 plus models.

after 5 years the plastic and struts etc will need work . not a good investment. I don't even want to get into the engine issues . so I stayed with the 2000 for now.
  5. CKNSLS

CKNSLS Member

There were a few engine issues early on with the 5.3 and AFM. There are none now. I am currently towing my 5,500 pound-29 foot trailer with my 2011 5.3 Silverado across the country. I have towed it 6,500 miles. I have been sight seeing with it an additional 10,000 miles. (total trip 16,000 miles) We have another 650 miles before we get home. The truck has performed flawlessly thus far. IT IS COMPLETELY STOCK. Current odometer reading is 37,300 miles.

Maybe there are a few on this board who, like me have put their truck to the test. But don't tell they are not up to the job.

They must be really crappy trucks -I guess that is why GM sells approx. 40,000 to 50,000 units a month with Silverado/Sierra combined.

You have no idea what they may or may not need in five years-unless you have a crystal ball. If you do tell me what the stock market will do. THAT I would like to know.
  6. Cowpie

Cowpie Member

I reverse it. I like how it drives on the road. It is comfortable inside. It is quiet inside. Now from there on, it is down hill.

It is really too bad that one cannot order a pickup the way they can a truck. I ordered my 2013 Freightliner last year with everything spec'd to my order right down to the brand of wheel seals in the axles. I also ordered it without an engine, and we dropped in a pre-emission factory rebuilt Detroit. I did not order what I did not want, but I got my money's worth out of what I did order for it.

Now to what we have available in the smaller stuff. If you want one feature, you have to take an entire package. In other words, pay for what you don't want and have certain features that make a work day more difficult than before. I had to take off the plastic air dam on the front right away, something else I had to pay for that I did not want as it would be busted up and hanging like a beat up rag on the front in short order going thru the fields. Many of the bells and whistles features on the pickup are more of a nuisance than a help. The headrests suck big time if you where anything other than a stocking cap. had to yank them out and throw them in the useless parts bin. Still working on programming out the door automatic locks. I do not live in Detroit or L.A. so I don't need my doors locking every time the pickup moves. On a farm than can be a hindrance.

Maintenance is going to be more difficult than other pickups I have owned. But then, I have only had solid front axles. This CV boot nonsense is going to be a problem. Again, maybe a good thing for a smooth ride for a city pickup. Again, no option for something different up front. And the way they have packaged everything in the front makes almost everything harder to get at and work on than any thing I have had before. Some things just get worse with technology. My problem, as I stated earlier, is the I did not do my due diligence in checking out more than just the exterior of the truck and the drive. Some features sound nice on paper, but turn out to be a hassle in the real world.

Enough for now.

One can claim how many pickups that Chevy sells, but who are they selling them to? I see far and away a larger percentage going to suburban dwellers that, at worst, might pull a bass boat or an RV. Not too many of them have to pull a fuel wagon thru rough off road, haul supplies to same area, handle gravel roads in the winter that don't get plowed out for several days after a major snow, and when things melt, have to plow their way thru the mud road creating ruts as you go. To most, getting in the mud is a weekend adventure. To some of us, it is an almost daily thing, and we don't do it for the thrill, we do it to get work done. And not really for me, as am usually behind the wheel of far larger stuff. The wife has to contend with the pickup more than I do. One thing that is not really Chevy's fault is that the pickup has not been able to be kept clean since the day she drove it from the dealer. Two weeks and even though the pickup got washed when she went to town, but it was less than 24 hrs before it had mud and dirt all over it. But I am finding out it's weaknesses pretty quickly.
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  7. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

To [MENTION=61344]Cowpie[/MENTION].

First off, the Silverado pickup was not the reason GM went bankrupt. Management and retiree benefits are more to blame.

Second, the air dam is for fuel economy.

If you are such a HUGE farm working, trailer pulling dude, what on earth did you get a 1500??!!! Get a 2500 or 3500, they can be had in WT trim and crew cab. With the WT package you don't have to worry about all those fancy features.

IMO a 1500 is a city truck that is capable to doing some light duty stuff. Buying a 1500 and expecting it to do the work of a 2500 or 3500 is plain ridiculous.

When I got my 2013 I went and looked at the Fords and Rams and quite frankly I liked the Chevy over the others. I am completely satisfied with my 2013 Silverado.
  8. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts

since it is the wifes truck , a 1500 to haul the kids and shopping it should do a good job.

GM made this 1500 model , a cheaper low quality vehicle starting in 2007.

seats are very cheap . my 2000 leather seats are much better.
  9. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

Cheaper?

The NNBS trucks have:

More powerful engines WITH better fuel economy.
    Fully boxed frame.
    Higher payload and towing ratings.
    Remote start (most do).
    Longer powertrain warranties.

I won't even get into the newer technology things like bluetooth, built in satellite radio, Onstar, backup sensors, rear camera, etc.

Now I do admit the 2000 model has a couple of features that I wished the NNBS trucks have like:

Cabin air filtration.
    Glovebox light.
  10. RVJ

RVJ Member

I'm sure the other 1,500,000 of us that love our GMT900 trucks must all be wrong.