1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2013 Sub - Difference between regular and heavy duty radiator

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by yogi799, Nov 9, 2013.

1. yogi799

yogi799 New Member

I have the towing package which lists a heavy duty radiator, among others. Anyone know how to tell the difference?
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  3. ChevyFan

From Edmunds " heavy-duty towing package (with an integrated trailer brake controller, trailer sway control and hill start assist)"

Looking at the radiator.
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Steve, those are the same part numbers!
  5. ChevyFan

Edited the first post.
  6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Thanks! I tried to look at pictures of the parts but they were the same. It took me a second to figure out the issue.
  7. ChevyFan

They don't have two photos for the radiator in any case. Have to find it somewhere else. I think the hd radiator is thicker ... but that only helps if you have both to look at.
  8. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

The Factory Tow Package, RPO Code Z82.....this Package includes....."Trailering Equipment HD" includes Trailer Hitch Platform. 7 Wire Harness, K47 High Capacity Air Cleaner, (KNP) Cooling External Transmission Cooler,

This Information below is from Chevy's Web Site....under 2013" 1500 Suburbans "Build your Own"

Heavy-Duty Trailering Package: If you plan to haul or tow heavy loads, select the Heavy-Duty Trailering Package, which consists of an auxiliary external engine oil cooler, an auxiliary external transmission oil cooler, a 2-speed active transfer case on 4WD models and a 3.42 rear axle ratio. This critical feature protects your engine and transmission by helping prevent overheating and is available on 1/2-ton models only.

There is no mention, that a "Heavy Duty Radiator" comes with the Heavy-Duty Trailering Package.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  9. yogi799

yogi799 New Member

Yes there is...
    This is the list and also a screen snip. rad.jpg

Heavy-Duty Trailering Package
    Includes:

• External engine oil cooler
    • Auxiliary external transmission oil cooler
    • Power steering cooler
    • High output electric fan
    • Heavy-duty radiator

10. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

I think one of the differences is an engine oil cooler built into the rad. It is like the transmission cooler, one is on the left side of the rad, the other cooler is on the right side.

I don't know if it's thicker. I can measure mine (I have the heavy duty trailer option), if someone wants to check the rad in a truck without HD.