1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2014 chevy Silverado active fuel management

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by skunkstripe, Jan 22, 2014.

1. skunkstripe

skunkstripe New Member

Have been reading on the net. People say that active fuel management uses oil. My question is has this been addressed in the 2014 chevy Silverado 5.3. Or the one's that are complaining about the active fuel management useing oil abused there trucks. Just wondering. Love this truck just turned over 2000 miles. Best truck I have ever owned first chevy truck. Traded a 2011 ford f150 5.0. For this truck like this truck a lot more then the ford. Anyway just wondering about the oil. Thanks
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

I don't think anyone (other than maybe a GM quality control engineer) can answer your question.

It appears, that the 5.3, with AFM, burns (read consumes) more oil than other GM engines that do not have AFM.

Some consumption has been fixed by changing valve covers; but, if that is a problem, why would the problem not be in the 4.8 engine which uses the same valve covers?

Has it been fixed in the 2014 trucks, I don't know.
  3. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member

There is no honest answer to your question, I doubt you would even get a straight response from GM on this one. Some have issues with AFM and some do not, seems to be more of an issue with years prior to 2010 ish. Ray makes a valid point about the valve covers. Myself, I don't use the AFM by way of the range technology device, and I love it, prior to the use of this device I had not noticed oil consumption in my 2011, As for 2014, I would hope if there was an issue that is/was wide spread that GM would have addressed this by now. The safe answer is watch your oil level and you will know.
  4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I have not heard of any issue regarding Oil Consumption on the New 5.3 Liter Ecotec Engines,

I would mention.....have you seen or heard that General Motors plans to Recall 370,000 units of its Redesigned 2014 Full-Size Pickup Trucks, Citing a Software Problem That Could Cause Engine Fires??

GM said the Recall Affects All of the 4.3-liter and 5.3-liter Trucks the company has manufactured since production started in the summer, including 303,000 trucks in the U.S. and 67,000 in Canada and Mexico.
  5. redvett

redvett New Member

Since the "LT" engine is new for 2014 there isnt any history on this new engine. The complete engine is new and uses Direct Injection.
    Time will tell.