1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2014 Dodge TBD Ram 1500 (EcoDiesel V-6)

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by tbplus10, Aug 28, 2013.

1. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Chrysler just added a hiccup in the MPG fight, sometime in October they will begin selling 1500 Rams with a 3.0L EcoDiesel V-6 backed by a heavy duty version of the 8 spd Auto trns. 240hp with 420lb-ft peak torque and exceeding 25mpg. They also managed to keep the price reasonable, $2,850 more than the Hemi equipped truck.
    Im not a Dodge fan but those numbers look good.
    Maybe Dodges new trucks will make enough noise to prod GM to do the same real soon.
  2. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I agree, back when GM announced a re-designed 2014 Silverado, I was hoping they would come out with a small displacement diesel engine (a baby Duramax?).

When they announced their new engine lineup 4.3, 5.3, and 6.2, I was pretty disappointed.
  3. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

So Dodge is putting the little TD in the 1/2 ton.I read they were putting it in a work van-a van that didn't look like a 1/2 ton van-looked a little like a Sprinter,but didn't know it was going in the 1/2 ton pickup.

I wonder how well it will sell?
    The 3.6 gas motor-300 hp-maybe 290 lb ft?) 8 speed AT- is rated 18/25-and will be $5000 cheaper I bet.
    It sure won't accelerate like the Hemi-won't tow any better than the hemi-not as well maybe since waaaay down power wise.
    Now it should get good mpg-but so does the much cheaper 3.6 gas motor?
    I like the idea, but not sure where it fits.MPG or tow?
    We'll see
  4. tbplus10

Im working on getting a Ram 1500 Diesel for a short term Demo, say a week or two. Ive been promised one sometime in late Oct or early November. The compny I work for has wanted Diesel 1/2 ton service trucks for years and they arent available.
  5. phoebeisis

tbplus10

There was that Dodge MB Sprinter- but the 2.7 5 cyl only made 150 hp- the 3.0 6 probably made less then 180 hp not much- and maybe 260 ft lbs-
    AND I think they were really pricey-$40,000 or so-kinda narrow also.
    With that MB diesel they were probably very expensive to repair.
    Not really cost effective vehicles is my guess.
    Who actually made the TD that dodge is using?? It is a Euro motor?? Fiat??

Both GM and Ford had midsize 4-4.5 liter TD in development-the 2008 crash did them in I guess.
    I bet GM has a similar sized TD in Europe or Asia-they could plug it in it so inclined.
    But spark motor GMs are so reliable now-relatively cheap,and they get great FE-so GM and Ford figure it doesn't make any sense.

Not sure this Dodge TD makes sense-their 3.6 spark motor- 18/25 EPA 300 HP 295 lb ft- and maybe $4000 cheaper than the TD will be- not sure GM and Ford aren't right to not do a 1/2 ton diesel.
    Yeah spark motors are soooo good now.....
    Now the MPG nuts over at the other forum-go crazy over TDs-yeah frothing at the mouth.
  6. tbplus10

I believe the EcoDiesel series of engines is Chryslers in house designed and manufactured creation, the 8 speed trans is the GM/Chrysler collaberation.
  7. Cowpie

Cowpie Member 100 Posts

I guess, depending on pricing and other factors, the diesel option in their 1500 should be a real seller. I bought an '06 Jeep Liberty with a diesel in it. Had it lifted and tuned and it regularly gets 32+ mpg on road trips. 2.8L inline 4, cast iron block, wet sleeved, Bosch common rail injection, 180hp and 310lb torque. And it will put a lot of pickups to shame in the rough. They had to use the 545 transmission from behind the 5.7 hemi to handle the 2.8L diesel in this Jeep. More torque than many small V8's. They made 11,000 of these and they sold quite well. The only thing that messed this all up was the '07 emission changes. Mopar figured it wasn't worth it to build any more of the Liberty's on this side of the pond with diesels. Europe has gotten them all along.

As for MPG, I also run a little on the slower side. It is especially critical with my class 8 semi. I usually run around 62 mph with it, but it also gets roughly 30% better mpg than the national trucking average. And considering just 1 tenth mpg in that truck equates to right around $1000 a year in fuel savings, it is worth it to get 8 mpg average while the national commercial semi average is 6.5 mpg.
  8. phoebeisis

tbplus10
    So it is in-house design? Good for Dodge.

Cowpie-yeah they only sold that TD Liberty for a couple few years-BIG PREMIUM on the price is my memory
    but buyers lover it-still do-maybe still sell-used-for much more than any other Liberty
    Yeah really popular with you Jeep folks.
    Maybe Dodge will put another mid sized TD in a JEEP.Especially now that all the corps have a better handle on the Diesel pollution controls.
    Yeah-240hp 420 ft lbs-it would be a stout Jeep motor-since they are tooling up for the Van and pickup-why not the jeep.
    Jeep folks will spend serious money on their Jeeps.They might be the most loyal buyers of ANY vehicle.
    Big aftermarket too-
    Bet there will be another TD in Jeeps future.
    8mpg with one of those BIG trucks-wow- serious $$.Didn't think they could get 8mpg
    Heck bet my 383 Cuda barely got 10 mpg!
  9. Cowpie

Cowpie Member 100 Posts

Surprisingly, Mopar did not know quite how to price the CRD in the Jeep Liberty when I bought it. It only cost a $500 premium over the standard 3.7 V6. What a steal! My son wanted it, so I sold it to him when I bought the Silverado. I sure do miss that Jeep.

The class 8 trucks are really making serious progress on mpg. There was test run recently from California to Texas, that the truck with approximately 35,000 lb of cargo on board, got darn close to 10 mpg territory. That is incredible by any standard. I have averaged around 7 mpg since about 1996, and with my 2013 Freightliner glider with a pre-EGR Series 60 Detroit, I am hitting either side of 8 mpg. And I regularly get loads of 44,000 to 45,000 in the box. Of course I get some lighter stuff, but I average around 35,000 lb loads on board.
  10. phoebeisis

Cowpie??
    Wow my memory is off.
    I seem to remember folks bitching about how much the premium was on the TD Liberty.
    Where did Dodge source that motor??

Good wiki thing on the AFM- so it just retains the exhaust gas-and compresses it over and over again??
    Like an air spring?Huh
    Is that how all the cyl shutdown setups work??
    Seems like you could just not inject the fuel-use unburned air-but it wouldn't be oxygen depleted-and with all the heat-maybe it would char any oil etc??