1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2015 Cadillac ATS coupe - thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by McClintoc, Jan 27, 2014.

1. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I just read about the 2015 Cadillac ATS coupe and I must say, IMO, it looks promising. By that I mean it seems to fit a lot of the criteria I have for my new car. I was curious of other peoples' thoughts on it. Check it out:

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/2015-cadillac-ats-coupe-first-look

http://www.edmunds.com/auto-shows/d...it-auto-show-2015-cadillac-ats-coupe-faq.html

Other than the grille, it's looks good. It's small, sporty, 300+ HP (from the V-6, although the turbo I-4 offers more torque than the V-6), rear driver, manual transmission, American-made. Like I said, it fits the criteria for the car I want to buy when the time comes. That time is about a year from now so I can wait for this one. Price is about the only factor I will need to know. I would really like to have a CTS-V but I don't think I'll be able to afford one of those; even a pre-owned one. As long the new ATS coupe is under $45,000 I'll definitely be checking it out. We'll see what the projected MSRP is for it.
  2. McClintoc

No input on this, eh?
  3. jsmith4816

jsmith4816 New Member

A+ on the CTS-V. The owner of the company I work at has one and it is beautiful.

From the pics, looks like it comes with a manual, so that is a plus. The grille is a little different and think they could have done better. I am not a fan of coupe style cars but this one is growing on me. I really like the color too!
  4. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 1000 Posts

I liked the CTS-V coupe's looks. Im not much into cars but ive turned my head a few times when I see one go by. I like the color on that one your looking at. Unfortunately with my previous Cadillac experience (Escalade Ext) I had I will never buy one again. IMO they are way overpriced for the quality of the components that make them a luxury vehicle. Things may and very well be different now. But the 03 I had was one of the worst vehicles ive owned.
  5. McClintoc

In reference to the previous 2 posts above, I am talking about the ATS coupe here, not the CTS coupe. Both are Cadillac coupes but the CTS is bigger than the ATS and they have different engine options from each other.

Again, a CTS-V coupe would be awesome but I can't afford one of those. The ATS coupe is much more affordable.

As for the quality of Cadillacs, the CTS is one the most highly acclaimed cars Cadillac has ever produced. I would imagine Caddy would put some of that effort into the ATS as well.
  6. the phantom

So with how you've written this they are comparing the CTS to the history of what they have produced in the past and not any other auto makers luxury cars.
    Then I hope they use different heat modules and elements for the heated seats than what they use to, The air shocks and compressor for ride control has been updated to top notch quality instead of what use to come on Cadillacs that were junk and very expensive to replace. I had 3 window regulators (same the other GM's had) that were shot all within 65k miles and only needed one within 175k on my older silverado. I understand I got a bad apple(or lemon) with this truck which in turn has given me a bad opinion about Cadillac. But I saw no justification in the price with the quality of the extras the luxury vehicle was suppose to bring. It held true that the more things it has the more it has to go wrong. If its something that your going to get rid of in a few years or maybe even 5 years then you may get the best years out of it. But cost of ownership increases big time after 5 years with all the luxury's that begin to fail.
    Like the automatic tinting, heated door mirrors filling with water, and the heated seat elements failing, and the ride control ect. I dont even want to go there.:lol:

p.s. Not trying to discourage you from buying a nice looking ride. Just giving you my past experience I had with a the luxury side of GM. I just wasnt impressed. But things hopefully have changed and they have raised the bar on the quality of the luxury. Good luck and keep us posted if ya get one.... The ATS that is..:money:
  7. McClintoc

The CTS is highly acclaimed by auto writers when compared to the BMWs and Benzes it was designed to compete against. A lot of auto writers have been very impressed with the CTS and they say its just as good if not better than the BMWs and MBs.
  8. the phantom

Its hard to believe that an accurate opinion can be generated before the vehicle actually performs for certain amount of time. I dont put much value in an opinion of how good a vehicle is until its been tested in real world scenarios. A vehicle could have problems and still be North American Truck of the year (14 silverado) for example. Some opinions on new vehicles IMO are premature. But you cant buy a new vehicle and have real world time testing done already either. So most of us are at the mercy of hoping that the new vehicle we bought is what the good opinions say they are.
  9. McClintoc

Well, keep in mind, the CTS has been around since 2009 and all the reviews I have read for the new 2014 CTS keep talking about the CTS's lineage since '09 and how it's still going strong. Which is to say, the '09s have had plenty of real-world testing and people still praise them.
  10. the phantom

This is true.. Cadillac probably had no choice but to step up its game since the early 2000's. Im glad no one else for the most part will have to go through the problems I had, since it seems they did improve quality.